Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed for meat goats  (Read 2090 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Feed for meat goats
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:03:55 pm »
Chatting to the man in the feed suppliers this morning I was looking at the ingredients on their goat mix. He said the local college farm raises meat goats and had returned the mix as there was an ingredient they weren't allowed to feed to goats intended for meat for the human food chain.
I couldn't see anything unusual on the label apart from a couple of types of soya and palm oil I'd rather not feed.

Does anyone know what he meant?

He couldn't remember any details, I asked him to check when he next saw them, he said he didn't know if they still kept goats there.

The mix was labelled as for all growing and dairy goats.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Feed for meat goats
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:22:20 pm »
I would feed them calf/cattle mix/nuts.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 06:57:16 pm »
Umm, it wasn't so much what to feed but he said there was something in the goat mix which shouldn't be fed to animals entering the food chain and I was curious what that could be and if anyone was aware of it.
Never heard it before.  I have dairy and angora goats, the boys go for meat and eat the same as anyone else, my own mix.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 08:05:47 pm »
I rear meat goats and have never heard of this before.  We feed beef nt 16% protein but are looking to change to bocm dairy nuts.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 08:16:56 pm »
We feed 18% dairy nuts with oats, peas and a bit of 18% golden lamb and they seem to be doing well on it .
Never heard of anything about goat mix having anything in it  :-\
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS