Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming piglets  (Read 2644 times)

devans118

• Joined Jun 2013
worming piglets
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:21:59 am »
My piglet is 2weeks old and Defo has worms.does anyone know if I can worm him so young and if I can what should I use??need to know asap so I can go online an order it today!thanks!

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: worming piglets
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:54:11 am »
You have one x two week old piglet?

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:55:51 am »
Do you have it's mother too ? At 2 weeks it's FAR too young to have been taken away from her  :'(
I'd suggest taking it to a vet asap - they'll be able to give it an injection to treat the worms (shouldn't be too expensive either) and do a general check over at the same time.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:57:04 pm »
I'm guessing only bought 2 weeks ago. But take it to the vets and get the thing sorted.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 10:23:59 am »
You can use Panacur powder for all ages of stock. I presume you have the mother with the piglet, in which case she will need doing as well. You add it to the food.
If you have the piglet on its own and are bottle feeding, you can add it to the milk.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:43:30 am »
Just need to clarify - is piglet still with it's mother or is the age of this piglet a typo?

If you worm the sow now, some of it will pass through the milk to the piglet. 

As landroverroy says if you are bottle rearing.  It would be a good idea to start looking for a companion for him too if this is the only piglet you have.

I usually worm my sows/gilts a week or 2 before they farrow which usually prevents the litter being born with a worm burden & if bringing her inside to farrow, a good wash of her underline helps to prevent the piglets picking-up worms that way too.

I worm my litters at 8/9 weeks old, depending whether I am Ery vaccinating potential breeding or meat weaners.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

devans118

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 12:51:14 am »
Thanks for your help guys,he is coming on well,a little slower  growing than his sister who is huge for 3weeks!I'm assuming he didn't have enough colostrum his 1st couple of feeds.she dried up within a couple of days.just glad we were left with a couple of piglets. :relief:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS