Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Balwen Sheep?  (Read 4676 times)

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
Balwen Sheep?
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:48:12 am »
Hi all,

I'm considering buying in a Balwen Ram and three Ewes to breed mainly for meat to sell through our Farm Shop; the ram would be registered, but the ewes need not be (can always buy in a registered ewe if needed at a later date). I have no experience of this breed, but research suggests they are similar in size to a Southdown and just as tasty, but breed easier and more prolifically. Any advice/comments would be very welcome.

I already have a pure blood Shropshire ram, which I run with a couple of Texel ewes and this years ram lamb which I intend using on a couple of Southdown X's - I will sell the Shropshire ram in favour of using the Balwen ram on all the ewes in the future and the ram lamb will go to slaughter once he has performed his duty on the Southdowns. Hopefully, I should end up with a single Balwen ram and a flock of seven ewes (3 Balwen, 2 Texel and 2 Southdown).

Any advice/comments?

Regards, Farmer
 :farmer:

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Balwen Sheep?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 08:33:55 am »
Balwens, well.............. not the ideal sheep for meat production as they have very small carcasses and mature very slowly also,   but there meat is sweet and wondeful .

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:21:44 pm »
Balwens are considerably smaller than southdowns - a sad result of breeding predominantly for markings rather than conformation.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:22:19 pm »
We had Balwens at one stage and they were a nightmare. Rams are inspected before registration and failed to get one up to scratch along with the ewes not having all markings to be registered as the super girls. They are a very small sheep and definitely a mountain breed to fast for the average person without a dog.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:51:14 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for your comments...since its only an experiment and I still have access to Southdown and Portland lamb as/if required for meat, I'll persevere...the Balwen Ram is Cade, as are all of my other sheep, so I'm hopefull that I can control the new ewes after keeping them in for a while (lots of attention and hand feeding). I'll be collecting the Balwens at the end of September, so I'll post an update when they have settled down...here's hoping things go o.k., but if not they'll do for the pot!

Thanks again
Farmer
 :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS