Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I sell frozen pork ??  (Read 3247 times)

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
Can I sell frozen pork ??
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:34:38 pm »
We have just taken our first pigs to the abattoir, and are due to collect the meat on Friday. We have sold some but have some still to sell, my question is can we put the pork in our freezer and then sell it ?

We have spent all evening scouring websites trying to find out any rules and regulations that are bound to be out there.

All meat would be delivered still frozen for people to put straight in their freezers. Have found a website selling the boxes we would need.

Does anyone out there know if this is ok to do.

Debbie

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Can I sell frozen pork ??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:49:58 pm »
No problem - supermarkets and Iceland do it all the time. You will need to label though with labels that will stand up to long-term freezing and include all the info legally req'd including use by dates etc.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:08:26 am »
Hi,
I totally agree there is no problem selling frozen pork or bacon or any other meat for that Matter.
The one thing you will have to watch is the use by date,Even in a freezer you have to but on a use by date.
If you look on your freezer it will have a star rating,Meaning the recommended time that you can freeze something you would have to use the one on your freezer but they are all differant so you would have to state the star rating on the packed at tell people these are only guidelines.
The maximum you can freeze pork in my freezer is 180 days approx 6 months which lets be fair is a long time.
But as I have said check yours and go from there.
Hope this helps
Joe

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 06:51:33 am »
Sorry to be the one to put in the 'but'  it may be that it is necessary to have the pork frozen industrially before you put it in your freezer?  Hopefully not, its just I remember vaguely some mention .....  sorry

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:13:08 am »
Normally no problem...providing you are a registered meat supplier (trading Standards) and the meat you sell is labelled correctly and stored correctly - you need to keep daily records of freezer temperatures and should not store 'sale food' alongside any for your own consumption...obviously different rules may apply depending on where you live...Good Luck

Farmer
 :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS