Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Choosing a lamb for the freezer...  (Read 4055 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Choosing a lamb for the freezer...
« on: June 13, 2013, 08:54:22 am »
I'd choosen a lamb to put in the freezer. A really nice chunky, strong lamb. When worming I felt a ball, he was rung but obviously one slipped out... Never mind!

My question is, will this change the taste? Hes a suffolk cross so will be finished this year. I've heard peiple saying rams dont taste nice.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Choosing a lamb for the freezer...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21:28 am »
We don't castrate any of our tup lambs and have never had a problem with flavour - which is fab. Ours go end of October at about 7 months.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:24:45 am »
wev eaten mature rams so they are edible. just send him off sooner rather than later.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:30:55 am »
Thank you ou very much!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 04:04:19 pm »
I havnt done any of mine either (on hearing some people say they finish quicker) so I hope not  ;D :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 05:31:57 pm »
We have eaten our (by then infertile) Shetland tup at nearly 4 years a couple of years ago and he was great. He was sent away in March though, the legs were really, really slowly roasted, the rest minced and/or cubed and curried. Great!

However I would send sufflk Xs away much earlier, and keep them away from the females after a about 4months+ of age.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 05:39:28 pm »
Would he be ok with my ewe lambs from this year? Just for a few months after weaning?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:37:37 pm »
We separate at 16 weeks - not so much because of possible tupping (ram lambs for the freezer go at the beginning of November) but because they're a pain in the neck around the females.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:17:25 pm »
Would he be ok with my ewe lambs from this year? Just for a few months after weaning?

Not worth the risk - if he is for your own consumption, just send him away a bit earlier... the last few kg-s won't really make that much of a difference to you and he may ruin your ewe lambs.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 07:40:22 am »
Very good point Anke! I've never finished a lamb for the freezer, Any tips? What to feed, what age, weight etc?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 10:37:20 am »
Mine just get some ewe&lamb mix (as that's what I feed the ewes), so they are already used to it (my ewes get a wee feed every few days to get them in the pen and give a quick scan to see if everyone is ok), maybe mixed with some soaked shreds.

If he feels fleshy on his backbone I would send him off anything 35kgs upwards, which he should be by October or so. I have also found it is nigh on impossible to put good amounts of weight onto them later than that... even with bringing them inside. But maybe I am not feeding enough/the right stuff/not good enough hay etc etc.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 06:52:11 pm »
I only send our Southdowns or our Badger Face X Southdown for the freezer as the Southdown side of things gives a good carcase off grass - huge advantage of native breeds.  Cheap inputs, maximum flavour.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS