Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What tasty treats do your goats go 'Maa-aa-aad' for?!!  (Read 4848 times)

Heyup

• Joined Apr 2011
What tasty treats do your goats go 'Maa-aa-aad' for?!!
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:18:59 pm »
I've had my two lovely wee wethers for just under a week; they were acquired from another forum poster  :thumbsup: .  They're sweet boys, very well-grown, and altogether a delight to have around.  They're approximately 12 weeks old but are behaving a bit like overgrown babies as they were separated from Mum just before I got them.  They're eating extremely well and getting an occasional 'comfort' bottle of milk replacer (when they start latching onto my fingers and thumbs I figure it's something they'd enjoy, bless...). 

I've been spending a lot of time with them 'gentling' them and getting to know them, as they were part of a large group who needed new homes and I'm not sure they've had that much one-to-one human contact before.

Obviously, I need to be able to get close to them to carry out ordinary 'husbandry' duties; worm them, hoof-trim, vaccinate etc.  I've plenty of experience with tame adult goats but these are my first little ones.

Is there any tasty treat your goat absolutely loves?  My dear-departed pack goat  :bouquet: would do anything for a tiny corner of a hobnob biscuit, and if I waved a banana at her she'd come flying down the field with ears a-flapping... 

The new-some two-some aren't quite as easily won over / impressed, so I'd love to know what you other goat-keepers use as a tasty treat that can't be resisted!

Please let me know so I can continue to tempt my gorgeous boys to rush up to me without disappointment!

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: What tasty treats do your goats go 'Maa-aa-aad' for?!!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:44:20 pm »
Bananas win everytime.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:02:44 am »
I would go with bananas too & Sultanas
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 07:13:50 am »
Yes bananas here aswell skins aswell as the flesh  , we buy them in by the full boxes  ::)
Graham

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 07:23:56 am »
Sultanas here.

One of my new boys already digs in my pockets for them  :D

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 09:06:35 am »
Comfrey - we have a large bed of it just opposite the gate to the goat field and pulling a few stalks off and dangling them over the gate always brings them running.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 09:12:18 am »
Yes anything green like branches, comfrey here too, thistles etc... but also bananas, apples, toast, with a bit of honey on (if goat is off colour for example), oat cakes, haven't tried raisins yet...

If they are still only 12 weeks old they would do well on some milk, maybe a couple of bottles a day....

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:16:59 am »
willow branches - and, bonus, it apparently has a calming effect!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:11 am »
Bind weed, willow, rose bush leaves, a tiny bit of biscuit or cracker, chopped up carrot.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 01:43:30 pm »
Holly and rich tea bikkies

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 10:24:35 pm »
Mine like the rich tea as well. And sultanas, bread, bananas (My friends save banana skins for them), cake, apple, carrot.

I've read a lot on here about weaning at 12 or 15 weeks. I have always left mine with mum and let them wean themselves and both give up suckling at around 6 months. I bought in my last kid at five weeks and bottle fed her until she decided to give up at seven months, although the last month I gradually watered down the milk until she was drinking water from the bottle.

Heyup

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 12:24:28 am »
Many thanks to all for all your suggestions....  Bananas I knew about (and my two boys aren't as enthusiastic as my maiden doe used to be) - but sultanas are going down a treat!

I'll be trying apple and carrot and rich tea biccies etc. too.

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley...  Thanks so much for your advice!  I was led to believe that a lot of dairy-type goats are weaned at approximately 8 weeks - please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I would have taken Mum with my wee lads, but she was a much more viable prospect for a new home in full milk, without wethers attached (could have been different if they'd been nannies)...  Hence me acquiring the boys, whom I want for pasture maintenance and to become pets / pack / harness goats - we can all dream!! :innocent:

Isn't it just lovely how goats assert their personalities so rapidly?  Timothy, one wether, wants a lot of playtime and stroking already (neither were bottle-fed as kids), whereas his rather more timid little bro (Bertie) really does like a bottle at least twice a day...  If it's out of sight of his disdainful brother, who won't touch a plastic nipple??!!

Hey ho!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 07:13:23 pm »
Goats are wonderful and yes, they do have their very different personalities.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:03:35 pm »
Mine love the flavoured horse treats but they are a bit pricey when you need to divvy them out to 38!

kim

• Joined Jun 2012
  • dundee angus
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 11:32:35 pm »
My lot love monkey nuts  in shell

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS