Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Daft question  (Read 2831 times)

paulsou

• Joined May 2009
Daft question
« on: July 20, 2009, 05:35:43 pm »
I have 2 saddleback pigs that are 22 weeks old, at what age do they need to go to slaughter? & once i have had them slaughtered what is the best way to get them from slaughter house back to the butchers? do they have to be transported in refrigerated vehicle?

HappyHippy

Re: Daft question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 07:20:46 pm »
You can send them whenever you feel they're big enough (although check with the abbetoir in case they have a maximum size, ours isn't happy with 'big' pigs) my saddleback cross was about 9 months when she went. I had been free ranging mine and letting them forrage for food with a supplement of pig nuts, if you're feeding more intensively they might be ready to go sooner.
As for getting the carcass to the butcher, check with your butcher - mine delt with the abbetoir anyway, so we were able to 'hitch a lift' as it were, with one of their scheduled deliveries. If your butcher is local the the abbetoir, this might be the same. If you're selling the meat I suspect you'd have to go down the refrigerated van route - but I'm not really sure on the legislation. Again, probably best to check with the abbetoir or butcher.
Hope this helps
Karen  :pig:

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:14:56 am »
Hi,

You can kill the when you are happy with the size as HappyHippi says but most people aim to do it around 26-28 weeks or at least they do around me.
I tend to do them around 9 months Big but not too Big and before you would have any problems with Boar taint.
The Maximum age I would recommend is 12 months as they are really Big by then and will have a lot of fat on them.(Some people may disagree but this is my opinion)
Hope this helps
Kind regards
Joe :)

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:26:59 am »
Hi, I don't know where you are located, but U.K. mainland rules state that no fresh meat should be transported unless the vehicle is refrigerated or the meat is contained in a purpose built container (cool box etc). Check with your butcher, he will probably already have an arrangement with the abattoir or a transporter.

With regard to the age of your pigs, 22 weeks is young, but it depends more on what weight they are...we breed Gloucesters and Tamworths and aim for a finishing weight of around 70kg for pork or 90kg for a baconer; which is achieved at around 26 - 30weeks.

Hope this helps, Farmer
 :farmer:

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:49:02 am »
Hi Paulsou,

It depends what you intend to do with the meat as to how you handle it after the abattoir. If it's for your own consumption then refrigeration isn't necessary although bear in mind that your pigs will be entering the butchers and he won't want to be handling pigs covered in whatever has been in the back of your car. I get the abattoir to split the carcass & throw a couple of clean large plastic sheets in the back of the Land Rover and butcher them myself at home although we don't sell any meat. If you intend to sell the meat via the butcher you have a duty to ensure you maintain the cold chain & transport them hygienically etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS