Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stop crows and magpies getting my eggs.  (Read 20418 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Stop crows and magpies getting my eggs.
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:00:12 pm »
My hens and ducks are laying there hearts out but I havnt had an egg for weeks cause I let them out early cause of work about 6.30 then don't go back down till 6.30 of an evening the birds are going in the nest boxes an eating the eggs how can I stop them!!!

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: Stop crows and magpies getting my eggs.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:09:15 pm »
Ducks should have laid first thing - can you collect them then?  Maybe put them to bed a bit earlier to change their laying clock!

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:32:48 pm »
They don't like to lay in there own box they like to lay with the chickens :/ the one day I found them all ducks and hen eggs were mixed lol I don't finish work till 6 so that's my problem I thought it was rats so poisoned them and then I saw the birds eating them....I thought off a few things like a scarecrow? Or next a roof on the pen

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:38:26 pm »
Its maddening isnt it, >:(  We tried cd's hung up etc but no good. In our case it was magpies eating them, we had thought it was crows so shot one and hung it above the chicken house door but it was still happening.we eventually discovered it was magpies when we saw one just coming out of the chicken house, a magpie was duly shot and suspended from the door and we've had none eaten since (apart from those that are laid out and about).

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 08:46:30 pm »
I do have a air rifle so I think that's the only option! Basically I want to hang them from near there pen?

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:02:28 pm »
You need to hang them when the magpies would enter if you can, ours is a roller door so we just hung it from the handle, so the dead 'un, is sort of suspended there when we open up the door,if you get my drift! there's also a pop hole door but they(the magpies) dont seem to use that one...yet ;) . The chooks dont seem to mind the corpse dangling around  ;D . good luck  :fc:  you stop the little********.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 09:05:57 pm »
A Larsen trap baited with eggs will do the trick. No magpies or crows taking my eggs but Jackdaw in the breeding pens stealing chicken feed feedback get in but can't get out.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 09:16:08 pm »
My ducks never laid before 10 am but they were in an old dog kennel with a huge dog cage attached so I could happily leave them in there till after that and all day if need be on the odd occasion.  They almost always laid inside.  My hens seem to lay throughout the day, and again always in the nesting box,  but I have netted their run, so nothing gets in. 

Good luck whatever you decide.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 10:19:10 pm »
A few dead magpies/crows/jackdaws hanging about the place will keep them away. Either shoot them or trap and kill them.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 10:38:22 pm »
A few dead magpies/crows/jackdaws hanging about the place will keep them away. Either shoot them or trap and kill them.

Are we still allowed to do that?  I'm sure someone told me recently it wasn't legal anymore  ???   
I'm just thinking of the smell in this  :sunshine:  too  :P
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 11:07:36 pm »
You can trap or kill corvids so long as they are damaging your livestock or crops. The only ones protected are ravens. I don't think the rules have ever mentioned what you're supposed to do with the remains after you've killed them.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 11:30:57 pm »
You can trap or kill corvids so long as they are damaging your livestock or crops. The only ones protected are ravens. I don't think the rules have ever mentioned what you're supposed to do with the remains after you've killed them.

Sorry hughsey - I wasn't very clear there  :-[  - I meant the hanging-up of the bodies - I wish I remembered who'd told me ...

Last year we lost track of how many bl**dy crows we must've shot - our free-rangers used to lay in the barns rather than their house & the crows must have been getting about half of our eggs every day!
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 07:43:56 am »
Keep your ducks in until 10.00am and ninety odd percent will have laid before you let them out. It definately works, I do it everyday.
Seagulls are the bain of my life when it comes to egg stealing.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 09:51:21 am »
I start work at 7.30 so after ten is no good to me lol! And I'm not leaving them cooped up app the time I looked at automatic houses but for 4 ducks and 4 hens can't really warrent that amount

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 09:58:04 am »
I set my larsen trap yesterday but so far no catches. There don't seem to be any flying rats about either though so maybe just seeing the trap is keeping them away.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS