Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Amazed  (Read 1985 times)

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
Amazed
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:24:32 pm »
Thought I would share my excitement with you all.  Had a surplus of eggs sitting on the kitchen work surface and my pekin bantam went broody on her own infertile eggs so I swopped them for eight dumpy eggs and she has hatched all of them successfully!  So proud of her she is really tame too and so very easy to handle.  I also put about thirty into my very cheap manual incubator and apart from turning and keeping temp and humidity at right levels was not very hopeful thought I might just get a couple to hatch!  Well we are on day 24 now and they are still hatching - we are inundated up to twenty two !!!  I also have two sitting araucanas !  Cant think what has happened this year - last year I was fortunate to hatch three out of six!!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Amazed
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:23:18 am »
wow, that sounds great! well done your little banty!  :chook: :chook:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:28:04 am »
Arh what a good mummy she is, I would love to see a photo of them all, strange that you have so many but well done :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:06:23 am »
superb  :thumbsup:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 02:48:08 pm »
They are still hatching and we are up to 26 I am going to need a larger box under the heat lamp!!  The pekin took them all outside today to sunbathe!  Spend my time watching them such a time waster but so worth it!!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 06:08:17 pm »
Wow, a great story, no shortage of eggs next year then  :thumbsup: so where are the piccies  :innocent:

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 07:06:04 pm »
Just trying to work out how to load pictures so you can all see them!  Think the OH will have to help!
For all of you that have watched Toy Story - remember the small fat alien toys that waited on the Claw to come and get them - changing the water and giving them feed is just like that - they worship the hand!!!
Such fun and one more hatched today - I think there is another pipping too!  We have had five days of constant hatchings - its quite awesome! They are at the stage of finding an interesting piece of stuff and dashing around with all the others chasing such time wasters but I love it!!

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 09:51:56 am »
one more this morning!! Just about to turn the incubator off when I noticed the egg cracking !! They have been hatching for seven days!!! Pictures soon!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 08:36:52 pm »
:thumbsup:
congratulations! :)
Little Blue

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 01:11:44 pm »
I've seen our Muscovy ducks come off their nest for their usual 15 minute break having hatched several and then going back, sitting, more hatching, more coming off for a break, going back, more hatching etc until they've all hatched - there can be several days involved in the hatching. 

Don't think people should be so hasty to think that some just haven't hatched!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 02:49:50 pm »
There are 28 and I think that that is it!!  Ive left the incubator on two days after the last one - dont think there are any more!!
What to do with them all - they are currently in a box under heat in the dining room!  Did that last year and it took forever to get rid of the dust and that was only from three dumpies and a pekin!!!  I am sorting out a space in our shed to be sensible!!!
If anyone is interested in them they will be for sale as chicks or later on..... 
Ps pictures are taken just waiting for OH to put them on the site!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS