Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hawthorn help please  (Read 6313 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Hawthorn help please
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:29:43 pm »
My oh decided in his wisdom to cut our hawthorn hedge right back. All of the cut branches were given to the goats to nibble on, but we are still left with a tremendous amount.
I am thinking of hiring a shredder to aid clearing it up. Does anyone have any experience of using a shredder. Will it shred to the point of resembling sawdust, if so, can this be used for goat and chicken shed?
Could it be compacted for brickettes for wood burner in winter?

Any suggestions welcome
Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hawthorn help please
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 09:33:21 pm »
My leylands were stripped down a bit and a pro shredder used - the consistency is a bit bigger than sawdust, I'm now using it as a mulch as it's been sitting since February so all the baddies will have leached out by now.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:07:59 pm »
Hi a chipper or shredder will not give you sawdust. it will just chip it as the person above found. I normally chip branches into the base of the hedge so it will brake down slowly and provide a good habitat for bugs and grubs etc that in turn helps the birds.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:27:15 pm »
i had 2 shredders and broke 2 shredders in quick succession. ours just made mulch for garden paths.
our goats eat ours then the rest get burnt.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 08:05:15 pm »
Hi,probably a stupid question but why don't you just burn it.

Graham.
Graham.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:57:09 pm »
I would love to burn it, unfortunately though I have a complete f¥€}wit as a neighbour who s allergic to smoke!!!
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:02:22 pm »
Sorry  that I responded in such away. Did you mean burn it outside or could I burn it in wood burner in house

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 10:39:16 am »
Hi,I think you responded correctly the first time,they sound like complete A***holes.
There always seems to be one know matter where you go.
We had one they actually complained about smoke coming out of are chimney.

Yes sorry I meant burn it as in on a bonfire.Now I know sorry.

Graham.
Graham.

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 04:24:16 pm »
Only thing to watch with shredding is the prickles are still there! No good for composting, I'd be careful with animals bedding too, even though they eat prickly things they're bound to get a thorn in the wrong place.

Burning - good plan, a bonfire seems like a waste, why not trim it and dry it out for the wood burner? Shredded wood is hard to get dry, or even stop from rotting if it's left in a pile.

PS Have equally ridiculous neighbours, but people still burn coal round here so can't say much to us
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 09:12:37 pm »
yes burning in situeis fine but also give back to the land what it has given so like the
last post said. be cafull of thorns, hedgers will tell you that blackthorn in particular is not fun to be stabbed with, there is a virus you can pick up from bird poo on the thorn,
so may be is best just stick it strait in to a gap of a hedge mushed up, or use as dead hedge.

also remember wherever you burn on a field you will find nettle next year,they like it?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 09:34:35 pm »
i can vouch for blackthorn being absolutely painful  :rant:
from experience i wouldnt bother putting it in the woodburner - it takes ages to cut it small enough, disappears quickly and invariably prickles you, especially if you collect your firewood in the dark  :innocent:
even rose hedging gives nasty little splinters.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 12:10:40 pm »
Lots of hawthorn and blackthorn hedges here which were over 20' high ::) .  Advise your neighbour ( :eyelashes: sweetly) that you will be having one large bonfire and suggest they go out for the evening or close their windows.  IMO (painful experience) hawthorn is a devil to put through a shredder and a good bonfire is the easiest answer.  The logs we use in a woodburner and or make log piles for insects.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 03:12:02 pm »
Thanks to all for suggestions and advice. I have got myself a shredder and am painfully trying to get through it. I would just love to have a bonfire however couldn't be doing with all the crap from the neighbours. Got enough stress in my life at the mo without her adding to it.

Smallholder Sam

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 03:41:38 pm »
After laying a hedge, and instead of using it directly for mulch or burning it in situ, we shredded a load of hawthorn that was too small to bother with for the log burner (too many prickles for kindling really) along with some hazel we had spare. We then used the Jean Pain method of composting which resulted in a fairly decent mulch that wasn't too prickly... Leaving it for another another 6 months might have resulted in decent compost but we needed the space.

I'm loath to burn brash, would much rather put it to better use and retain the nutrients along the way. Jean Pain compost was pretty good and we've used hawthorn for dead hedging as well. We still have a big pile of the stuff waiting to be shredded - pretty sure we have a birds nest in there though so it's being left for the mo.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS