Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piggies off their food  (Read 1112 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Piggies off their food
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:02:39 pm »
We have 3 OSB weaners and over last week they have been less interested in food. They eat but keep following us and just push it about. They look well enough and growing but our last lot used to fight over their grub. They are about 16 weeks.

Any ideas or suggestions what we can add to entice them? Not keen on veg and reluctantly eat a bit of apple and banana. Is veg oil good for the,?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Piggies off their food
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:16:59 am »
I am a piggie novice but it does seem strange that its all 3. I had one OSB like this last year who went off her food. It turned out to be sunstroke. Has it been hot where you are?  The vet came along and gave mine an injection and she was fine a day later.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 09:37:47 am »
Yes it has been warm although breezy. They spend most of their time in the arc sleeping. They have been in pen 4 weeks and you would hardly know as seem to be just eating the grass and not really rooting.

I gave slightly less feed and a bit of soaked sugarbeet this morning and they seemed to like that.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:49:04 am »
It might just be a change of food and environment that's causing it, but as Bionic says watch out for sunstroke and/or salt poisoning. As long as they've got access to plenty of water salt poisoning shouldn't be a problem, but you do need to keep checking their water when it's warm because this is when the pigs are more likely to tip their bowls to make a DIY wallow.
If they seem bright enough I wouldn't worry - could just be they're full from all the grass munching (they'll start rooting once they've eaten it all  ;))
HTH
Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS