Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: All organised  (Read 1461 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
All organised
« on: June 07, 2013, 01:50:24 pm »
Well this morning I have been taking the dags off the fleeces and then bagging the fleeces and labeling with ewes' name. I have also washed half of one fleece and its hanging on the line. The other half is currently in the spin dryer. I'm happy with my work although could have been more careful picking out the vegetable matter  :( 
Lots of carding work to be done when it dries.  :spin:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: All organised
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »
Well done, Sally. I've bought some old cotton bedding from a charity shop to make some bags for my fleeces. At the moment they are in plastic bags in my sitting room. Lovely smell.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 02:06:18 pm »
Well done Bionic, you are far more organised than me. What a lovely way to spend the day :sunshine: ;D .

It was such chaos with the shearer (me being too old and too slow :'( ) that I only managed to separate the breeds and roughly roll the fleeces and put them in dumpy bags.
Your findished bags look very professional - what are they please?  I was thinking of raiding my airing cupboard for old pillowcases  :innocent: but your bags look much better.  I didn't realise it was ok to spin the washed fleeces - don't they start to felt?   This is such a learning curve ::) .

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:19:31 pm »
I am very new to all of this too but had some fleece previously and put that in to spin dry with no ill effects.  I put the fleece into 3 net laundry bags and washed (in a burco boiler to quite a hot hand hot) and then spun it without taking it out of the bags.
Having said that I read somewhere that Ryeland fleece doesn't felt easily so yours may be different. It might be worth trying a small batch though to see what happens.   
As for the bags I got them off ebay last year in preparation for this years fleece (nothing like being prepared  ;D ) I can't remember how much they were but I bought a batch of 10 and I am sure I can't have paid too much for them.  I just searched on polypropelene sacks
It seems that lots of others use old pillowcases too. I recently bought some (for rag rug making) at 50p each from a charity shop.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 10:28:18 pm »
I bought a double duvet cover from a charity shop for £1 and have cut it up to make six bags. Each will hold two fleeces. Unfortunately, as I was sewing the last one, the bit on the machine that holds the needle fell off and I can't work out how to fix it. It looks as if there should be a screw to hold it in place but I couldn't find one. It's very frustrating as I haven't had the machine long and the person I bought it from hadn't used it much. It took me an age to work out how to fill the bobbin, then an hour's sewing and I was brought to an abrupt halt.  :rant:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS