Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleece processing  (Read 3099 times)

mijbil

• Joined Jun 2013
Fleece processing
« on: June 07, 2013, 06:58:05 am »
I've sheared my two herdwicks, and have a couple of kilos of wool, which I would like to put to good use. Not having the skills or patience to spin it myself, does anyone know where I can send it to be turned into a more useable product, or products? I know this may cost more than it is worth, however it is the principle of minimal waste from the animals which I am more interested in.

Thanks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Fleece processing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:34:35 am »
You could try this lady; I just heard about her on Ravelry as she'll be at Woolfest - let us know how you get on!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:10:08 pm »
I have a Herdwick jumper - you really don't want it next to your skin  :roflanim:

One thing you could make is a floor rug which would be hardwearing and thick.  The fleece wouldn't be spun but could be woven straight from the fleece on a peg loom.  For that you would just need some string for warp and a peg loom, easy to make from a 3x3 balk with holes drilled in and pegs made of dowelling.  There will be Utube clips to show you how, I'm sure.

You could even knit it direct without spinning, just by drawing the fleece out into rovings then giving the roving a turn at each stitch as you knit.  Use giant needles, or a giant crochet hook and make a pet bed or two.  :knit: :knit: :knit:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:12:03 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 05:41:15 pm »
Herdwick fleece is like brillo pads....Its a hardwearing carpet wool, not intended for wearing  :roflanim: However it makes fantastic wadding in a padded jacket or dog bed or pegloomed into a rug  :thumbsup:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

mijbil

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 09:20:11 am »
Thanks for all the tips!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 10:00:19 am »
Halifax Mill will take it and return it as yarn. Then you could weave yourself a rug, or find someone who would.

I'm just contacting them regarding sending them my 26 variously coloured Shetland fleeces, for the first time. I want it back as roving, to spin myself, this time, though I might find out about spinning too, so I could go straight to weaving/knitting.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 05:55:15 pm »
Halifax mill will charge the same for Shetland or Herdwick and there is a slight difference in quality...... :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS