Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I went to school yesterday  (Read 2212 times)

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
I went to school yesterday
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:50:40 pm »
And I took 2 hens with me !
I spent a lovely afternoon with 40+ children from Primary 5 , talking about hens, battery hens and  the work Homes4Hens do to rehome these so called 'spent' hens. The children were full of questions (quite a few about poop) and were fascinated to be so  close to 'real' hens . They are going to do paintings in class for me to send to Kathryn at Homes4Hens as a thank you for all her hard work, I can't wait to see the art work, there are some talented wee children in that class.
What has tickled and pleased me was the children still talking about my visit today, as they were crossing the road with me and also the comments from 3 or 4 parents about the impact Clatty Pat, Cancan and I made, one Mum said she has been instructed to buy only f.r. eggs (she already does) as her boy now refuses to eat any other  :roflanim:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: I went to school yesterday
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:58:43 pm »
ahh thats good. we did something similar a few years back and was shocked by the number of children that had never seen a real chicken before! good for you!

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:14:35 pm »
great work ..well done  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:35:44 pm »
It sounds a successful talk  :thumbsup:

My 5 yr old son had his friend around and showed off the hens and an egg from the nest box He explained the egg came from the hens bottom  :innocent: to which his friiend replied it was disgusting to eat an egg from there, his came from ASDA. My son told him those eggs were also from hens but his friend said it was a lie  :-[

It is so sad that children aren't aware about where their food does come from. It sounds like your class of youngsters have taken in where the best eggs will be from, and a lesson to remember through to adult when it is so interactive and informative  :trophy:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 10:20:37 am »
Well done! We host schools visits here and it's very rewarding  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 10:36:33 pm »
My first goat visited a couple of schools, where the children watched me milking her, then had a go at brushing her, one child at each corner. She had a lovely time.

The first visit was arranged because my friend Jon was teaching his 7 year olds where food comes from and it really is shocking how little knowledge children have these days. One child asked him if flour came from potatoes. They were fascinated when Flo and I visited to see the milk go into the bucket and to look into the bucket to see it afterwards.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 11:29:37 pm »
Psst MGW .
You can get potato flour from all sorts of places but mainly from health food shops.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS