Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep with cough  (Read 7152 times)

Pixie

• Joined Jan 2013
Sheep with cough
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:07:18 pm »
Hi i was wondering if anyone can help?I'v noticed one of my sheep has a cough,it doesn't seem really bad and isn't constant but being new to sheep keeping i'm a little worried. 

x

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Sheep with cough
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:08 pm »
Could be worms, have you drenched them lately?

Pixie

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:48:10 pm »
No i haven't as i have decided not to routinely drench but only do it if i believe they have them so maybe it is time.Thanks x

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:57:15 pm »
Hi - any nasal discharge?
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Pixie

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:12:35 pm »
No nasal discharge or any other sign of illness.A few days ago she didn't seem quite her normal self but bounced straight back,at the time i'd wondered if it was the heat,she has an incredibly thick fleece!

x

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:06:26 am »
In NZ people talk about sheep getting pleuresy,  I understand from being in damp areas. The names farmers give diseases are a bit odd here sometimes though and it could be pneumonia they mean not sorted out completely.  But anyway results in a cough, that can sound awfully uncomfortable.   Unfortunately they dont seem to do anythng for it.  But that is another possibility.  Check that her breathing is normal, doesnt sound thick and harsh.  If it does talk to a vet about whether she needs antibiotics or not.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:16:26 am »
Before jumping to any worse case scenarios and expensive vet treatments, try worming them. If she hasn't been done for a long while, this warm damp weather is going to hatch loads of eggs, so could be an idea.

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 11:48:48 am »
yes I agree that drenching is a good idea.  But just letting Pixie know of other things it could be.  A call to the vet is free, and antibiotics- most people with sheep have them available if required.

Pixie

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 10:09:57 pm »
So i drenched her and stupidly just assumed everything was now ok,only to suddenly realise she still has her cough  :( think i'm going to have to get the vet in!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS