Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drop spindle - any experts?  (Read 10326 times)

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Drop spindle - any experts?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 01:16:55 pm »
Only done spindle work as quick 'have a go' spinning. Even used a potato on a stick once. It was fun. My friend used to do lots when we did our medieval re-enactments as most wheels are too modern. (the another friend made her a walking wheel, beautiful and span well.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:06 pm »
OK if I wasn't too excited before - I am now!  Got my first fleece washed, and my carders arrived this morning. Have watched so many youtube clips of carding and every single one of the people does it differently!  Made loads of mistakes rubbing stuff up the wrong way and having the carders upside down or not facing the same way or opposite - great fun.  Really enjoying the experience.  Some of the wool has gone a horrid grey colour though.  I seem to remember them saying the first lot may do this as they are brand new, but wondering how long before this doesn't happen?

Really looking forward to Woolfest now and seeing how to spin.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 12:22:29 am »
Glad you're enjoying yourself.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 10:55:47 pm »
OK - went to woolfest today.  Had my very first go at using one at one of the stalls.  Don't know if it's true, or just salesmanship but I took to it immediately and the girl who 'taught' me didn't believe it was my first time!  Anyway it worked - I ended up buying two!  one plain lightweight, and one Turkish weighted one.  Lovely things.  Can't wait to get home and play with my new toys.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 01:25:04 pm »
OK - went to woolfest today.  Had my very first go at using one at one of the stalls.  Don't know if it's true, or just salesmanship but I took to it immediately and the girl who 'taught' me didn't believe it was my first time!  Anyway it worked - I ended up buying two!  one plain lightweight, and one Turkish weighted one.  Lovely things.  Can't wait to get home and play with my new toys.
:excited: :excited:   Lovely!  Wish I could have gone!  Id like a Turkish spindle, so you'll have to let us know how you get on and what the difference is....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 06:43:24 pm »
I bought a Turkish spindle too from the chap who turns his in all sorts of beautiful woods - sounds like the same stall as you got yours greenerlife.  I think it's the daughter who helps there?  This is about my 6th Turkish spindle - I love them.  My new one is in tulip wood and really well finished so the shaft is shiny as well as the arms - bliss to use.  I am spinning an alpaca/silk mix on it, spun quite fine and it's going really well.  No idea what I will use the yarn for, maybe a scarf.

I do hope you have fun using your two new spindles - keep us updated.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 07:34:58 pm »
Yes - definitely the same stall fleecy!  His daughter gave the lesson (on carpet just in case I dropped the spindle - but I didn't!  Smug  :excited: )

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 11:54:53 pm »
Yes - definitely the same stall fleecy!  His daughter gave the lesson (on carpet just in case I dropped the spindle - but I didn't!  Smug  :excited: )

:thumbsup:   His spindles spin so beautifully - a real craftsman

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 08:06:02 am »
do they sell on the web?  Must have a look!  Did you see the Kate humble wild shepherdess episode in peru last week - drop spindles being used whilst shepherding just as they have been for thousands of years - fab.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 12:27:27 pm »
Yes they do sell on the web, although it's good to able to try one before buying.

I have been watching the Kate Humble proggies.  It always embarrasses me seeing a huge team of tv programme makers descending on a really poor community and apparently taking advantage of their natural hospitality, when they have so little.   I just hope they make worthwhile reparations.

At least Kate was attempting to interest the big buyers in their fibre.

The spindling was great - all done quite casually and with an easy skill.   But awful to hear how little they get for their yearly production of fibre  :o   And so many mouths to feed.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 01:51:55 pm »
You don't need to spend money if you ant to try out a drop spindle. I didn't demo the actual spinning process here because it as to show how to make a spindle. I did do one on spinning with a dolly peg though which shows the drafting of the fibres at a pace which is easy for learning
making a recycled drop spindle.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 05:15:20 pm »
Funnily enough, I saw someone spinning with one of these at Woolfest - was it you?  Whilst I am really enjoying the drop spindle, I am also in the process of buying a spinning wheel, because I simply cannot do 12 fleeces all by drop spindle!  (well I could, but I don't have 20 years)

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 01:04:07 am »
Nope it wasn't me. I don't claim to be the inventor of that idea, just one of the sharers. They are really nice to spin with but I really only ever use a drop spindle to teach people with as it enables you to see the drafting of the fibres at a slower pace. It's a nice thing to stuff into your bag if you're going away and think you might get bored, especially as you can dismantle it quickly.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 10:22:24 am »
There were loads of the CD-spindles about at Woolfest - maybe one of the stands was selling them?

When I wanted to start drop-spindling, I bought one of the Ashford spindles, which are only a few pounds, just to see whether I would be able to do it and would enjoy doing it.  Once I knew I could, and wanted to, and was passed the dropping it every 30 seconds stage, I bought a lovely, more expensive spindle, one which just spins forever and is a delight to use.  I only use the Ashford one now to show beginners, or occasionally to sample a bit of yarn I've spun.

The thing about spindling vs a wheel is to use the spindle when you can't use a wheel.  You get very little yarn in 10 minutes, but over time you build up yarn you wouldn't have had if you hadn't had your spindle.  A friend of mine spindles as she walks about the village... she says she can't spindle on the way to see her sheep, as she's carrying cake for them, but she spindles on the way back, with the empty feed sack folded up in her pocket. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 11:36:27 am »
If anyone wants to try their hand with spindling I have two Ashford spindles I will happily give away just for the postage.   I have so many spindles now and tend to use the smaller weight ones, so the Ashfords are lying idle.  Anyone?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS