Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting to panic!  (Read 3530 times)

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
Starting to panic!
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:47:11 am »
Two of my three heifers are hopefully in calf and due to give birth soon. It's the first time for me too and I am beginning to panic.
Have been told to get calving ropes handy then was told you only need them if you have a winch? I had been thinking with native breeds going to the appropriate bull that everything will be ok but now the time is near I don't want to be stupid and not have obvious thing handy that I should because I just didn't know or think.
So my list so far is calving ropes, calf colostrum, bottle and teat, shoulder gloves, disinfectant, bucket brush and water. Can anyone advise if that is about right or if I have missed anything vital. Oh, and a phone with the vets no. on!
Any advice and tips etc. greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Fu
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Starting to panic!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:16:00 am »
Hi there
As a vet, I think the most important thing is to stay calm, this will help you and the cows :)
Calving ropes are useful, sometimes the calf can need a little pull, and a rope on each foot and a gentle tug can just help the cow out, a jack or calving aid can be dangerous if used incorrectly, but the vet will have one if the calf needs a bit more of a pull, and the experience to use it correctly.
Otherwise you're quite well researched with your list, having colostrum is useful as a boost if the calf is a wee bit slow getting up, but remember colostrum from the cow herself is the best source of antibodies and nutrition. Bottle and teat are useful if the calf is sucking, it may be worth getting a stomach tube in case it can't suck due to being weak.
Shoulder gloves and lubrication are great for getting your hand in to feel how the calf is presented, it should come nose and two front feet, and if you can get a hand all the way around the head when it is presenting in the pelvis, it should be small enough to calve.
Do make sure you give the cow plenty time, especially as first time mothers, they may take some time of being restless and straining before you see water bags. Then it can be some hours before the calf is delivered. As a rough rule of thumb, if you see no bits of calf after the water bags have burst, then have a gentle feel and see if there are two toes and a nose. If so, leave her and see if she can do it herself. Then if you can see parts of calf outside the vulva, with no progress for 20 minutes, it is worth calling the vet. Once you've seen a couple calve yourself, you will get more confident about what you should see and feel, and when you can pull.
Having a good cow halter, and ropes in case she needs to be restrained for calving or even a caesarian section are really useful, it is often better to calve them outside a crush in case they lie down.
Also strong iodine or blue spray for the navels of the calves to prevent infection tracking up into the body, and a good clean calving box set the calf up for a lifetime of good health.
If you have any doubts or any concerns at any point through the process, your vets should be more than happy to talk you through it, even if you don't actually need them there in person.
And like you say, native breeds with an appropriate bull should do it all by themselves so good luck! :)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:21:08 pm »
Ours' calved for the first time last year. Natives (Shetlands) to a Shetland bull, and they did it all themselves. It's amazing what they can do without our help!  ;) :)

We intervened with the first calf once he was out to clear his nose and mouth, but that might not even have been necessary.

Good luck, stay calm and as fsmnutter says your vet will be at the end of the phone and on-site if you need them.  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 04:28:53 pm »
Obvioulsy, I agree with Dan. Shetlands have a reputation as easy calvers, especially to a Shetland bull. I think ours just gave a good cough and the calves were out.

Ours are due to calve next Thursday (Blizzard) and a week Monday (Breeze). I'm less anxious this year but obviously, I'll be keeping an eye on them. Our vet says it's just like lambing but bigger - which can be an advantage as it means there is more room inside a cow to manoeuvre than inside a sheep. I'm truly hoping I don't find out.

Good luck! Our girls were well happy to let me handle the newborns but do be cautious at first. I've been talking to the calves for a few weeks now when I give the cows their daily groom, so I'm hoping that they will recognise my voice after they are born.

Pics as soon as possible - and relax, breathe etc etc

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:47:50 pm »
beware if your dogs follows you around as new mothers can attack them and might get you by accident if the dogs hides behind you.
our heifer needed a pull with calf ropes with her first calf, but i think we slowed her down by watching her as she was a bit nervous. the beef farmer who was with me was keen to interfere and i was scared to say leave her incase the calf died. the calf was in and out for 20 mins at this point. was born safely tho. tho the mum needed tying up for a few times to let it feed as she was a rough with it.
the other girl calved herself after we popped out briefly for the first time in 2 weeks!
spray the cord with iodine as they can get an infection in it after a few days where they look a bit sorry for themselves and fail to thrive (apparently)

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 10:50:38 pm »
Thank you all for your replies, all very helpful and reassuring. I will try and stay calm and have a few things to add to my list!
Had a thought about the due dates I was given, how accurate are scanning dates? They were only scanned once about three months after being put with the bull.
Also should I be able to tell by the udder how imminent the birth will be or are they all so different it is impossible to say? The Moilly is due first and showing no sign and the Shetland a week later and she looks to be bagging up (although she is the "obese" one. Even after the winter on restricted grazing and no hard feed)
I guess it will happen when it happens and I just have to be patient and keep watch.
Thanks again.
Fu

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 07:45:26 am »
bagging up can take weeks, when its hard and bulging you are close. but some can get milk after the have dropped.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 03:24:51 pm »
There is a saying in welsh that roughly translates to say that a heifer will bag up three times before she calves - so in other words, they will keep you guessing.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 08:59:14 pm »
Good luck I am sure all will go well, we have had four successful calvings with our pedigree Dexters,  it all happened without any assistance, we have a heifer due in a month so getting excited again already. We fortunately have a very experienced stockman close by who says just give him a shout if worried, takes  all the stress out of it and so far never needed to call him. Look forward to hearing all about your calving very soon.  :fc: :excited:

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 10:10:08 pm »
Thanks everyone, will keep you posted.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS