Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: scour in new lambs  (Read 2105 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
scour in new lambs
« on: June 06, 2013, 06:46:48 am »
my little lambs arrived last week.   :excited:They are orphans from my city farm.  They take in orphans so that the children can do the lamb feeding experience and sell them on when weaned.  The grass at city farm is rubbish and they hadn't been out much.  They are on 2 acres of very lush grass laid last year... and 4 are scouring.  3 of them are just sloppy poops (love my use of technical language  ;)?) and a 5 or 6 on the Bristol stool chart.... one is liquid.... problem is telling which one.  I put them in a coral at night which hasn't got much grass.  They could stay in there for a few days and just have nuts.... but won't they scour again when they go back onto grass?  I am assuming the scouring is due to their non stop grass eating!... Their tummies aren't too bloated.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome :knit:....I'll wait here and go mad with the emoticons!  ;)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: scour in new lambs
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:43:34 am »
If they haven't been on grass much before you would be wise to introduce them to it slowly. Get them in (on hay and creep) and then put them out for a few hours, then bring them back in.  Repeat that every day and slowly build up the length that they are out for, until you reach the point where they stay out all the time.
Also, worm them straight away if they weren't wormed before arriving at your place.

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: scour in new lambs
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 12:43:41 pm »
Agree totally with foobar.  Any change of diet needs to be gradual.  Also suggest pulpy kidney and tetenus vacs if they have not been done already?  You do have to be very careful if they are not used to the lush grass re bloating, scouring etc. Good luck!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS