Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: black faced ewes  (Read 7545 times)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: black faced ewes
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 05:00:10 pm »
Well - it says in the ad they are SBFs... They look a bit different to the ones around here. Maybe just a different strain - or just fatter?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 05:48:05 pm »
 Look ok :thumbsup:   too much white on the face and legs for most blackie breeders :sheep:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 11:28:04 pm »
Yup, wouldn't pass muster around here.  If I saw that much white on the face, especially on the forehead like that, I'd be expecting non-SB blood in there - Dalesbred or Lonk, maybe, or perhaps Rough Fell.

But in terms of the type, yes, Blackface - hardy hill sheep.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 12:44:32 am »
My first instinct would be rough fell. Whatever they are they would certainly be very hardy types.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 09:06:22 am »
They certainly don't look like the Rough Fells jaykay used to have - and they were pukka  :thumbsup:  But it has to be said, over here TPTB in pretty much all our Breed Societies do seem to get overly hung up on colours and markings, when overall conformation, health and fitness for purpose are so much more important!

How are they settling in?  Has the dog got the measure of them yet?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 12:10:40 pm »
so the jury is out.the main thing for me is that they seem to be healthy bit timid but i am sure they will fit in with the crazy gang 3horses 5 ducks 6 chickens 3dogs 1cat. anyway many thanx

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 05:10:58 pm »
They are bona fidi Scottish Blackfaces, just not a type that are seen very much outside Perthshire, Angus and Aberdeenshire. We call them Northies rather than the more common Lanark type that you see further south on the softer  ;)  hills in the borders! Perth type tend to have more white on their faces and a longer staple length to their wool. Their horns are more streamlined and they are longer of face and body. Usually their adult body weight is heavier than the border types, more in keeping with a rough fell.
Thankfully they are in France so I don't have to shear them, I clip about 4000 of them up here in their homeland, thin skinned cretins!!  ;D
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS