Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bantams sit in the strangest of places  (Read 1418 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Bantams sit in the strangest of places
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:17:05 am »
A few weeks back I noticed one of the bantams out in the lane.  As its a busy lane, I shood her back under the gate.  She kicked off, and immediately ran back out.  By the time I got through the gate she had disappeared.  I knew she could not be far, so searched the grass bank, and went across the lane to see if she was on the neighbours wall.  Had a brainwave as I knew she had to be close as she went so quick.  The original stone ;pig trough is still in the yard, and at the lane side, there is a hole in the wall, with a stone pouring hole, through to the through, where in the olden days my grandad would put the pig slop.  Tree in front of it now, but parted the leaves, and yes, there she was, on a mound of bantam eggs!!

Never saw the bantam come off the nest again, so have been going roun every night, giving her a drink and putting feed under her nose.  As she is sitting on old leaves, and twigs, really thought nothing would hatch and told her so the other day.  She glared at me, and sat tight.....I picked an egg up, store at it, and wondered whether to remove the eggs and the hen.  Hen glared at me again, as if to say  "you dare!" put the egg back under her, and got a good pecking for my pains.

Last night, trekked round with the water and feed, and thought I heard a faint cheep ....then thought maybe wishful thinking.  Went again this morning, and I was right, can hear louder cheeping now.  So bantam was right.

Lots of cars buzzing past, and walkers only a foot away, but I bet no one has seen whats hiding in the little hole.  Will go round this evening and bring mum and chicks to safety - my farm cats may see or hear whats hidden otherwise.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Bantams sit in the strangest of places
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:56:44 pm »
Went round last night with a bucket to bring the chicks back safely in.  Felt under the bantam, and carefully moved the little fluffy bantie chicks to the bucket.....counted 6 in the bucket.  Picked up bantam, hen, and 3 unhatched eggs under her.  Put hen under myarm, carefully removed the three eggs, and carried everything back to a safe pen.

This morning another chick had hatched, making 7.  Not bad for where she had sat, which was not exactly comfy.  One egg had nothing in it, and the other a fully formed chick, which for some reason  had not hatched.

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »
That is so lovely!! Well done so glad they are all ok!  Hens seem to know what they are doing!!
I have an auracana who we thought was lost for two days till our dog found her in the hedge!!! My daughter thought she was dead but no sitting on a very large mound of eggs!! I have moved her into the shed and she is still sitting - hope she hatches something for her trouble!!  Seems to be the year for hatching must be the weather!!!
Enjoy your babies!! Photos?

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 04:04:25 pm »
Aw that's so sweet! i have a broody at the moment and i think i might buy some eggs to put under her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS