Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greyface Dartmoors  (Read 2943 times)

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
Greyface Dartmoors
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:54:45 am »
I hope Tilly won't mind me showing a picture of this very clever sheep !!
I'm sure it was in a class for "reading sheep" at the Suffolk show. (If you would like a copy,Tilly, PM me with an e-mail address.)
 :sheep:

Solentfish

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Greyface Dartmoors
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:03:10 pm »
Lovely GFD!
Could I ask when this sheep was sheared? Seems to have quite a bit of growth.
My GFDs are being sheared in a week. I hope to have my first go at showing at the okehampton show on the 8th August. I am a bit worried that they will only have 8 weeks of fleece growth by the time of the show. Have I left the shearing too late this year?
Any advice much appreciated.
Julie

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:25:41 pm »

Hi zwartbles  :wave:
I hope you received my PM.
The photo is great :thumbsup:

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:53:56 pm »

Hi Solentfish  :wave:
Although I keep GFD I am not entirely expert at correct showing etiquette for the breed ,I am in Norfolk and there are only a handful of breeders in this area , so when ever I go showing My "Greyfaces" they are always in a mixed breed class and I tend to go to the shows for enjoyment and am not to fussed about exact fleece length etc.
If you are solely in Greyface Dartmoor Class ,then it is a different matter and rules on GFD shearing dates must be followed.
If  Hazelwood is reading this, I am sure she will help on this subject or if you read the news letters on the Dartmoor Society website their is a lot of advise on when to hand shear for showing.
Good luck at your show
Tilly

Solentfish

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:08:49 pm »
Thanks Tilly, I am going to the Cornwall show tomorrow and hope to watch the judging of the GFDs, so I will pester some of the competitors there about fleece length and ideal shearing times before showing.
So much to learn at the moment, I am sure it will get easier in time!
Julie

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:05:25 pm »
Hi :wave: ,  I am sure Hazelwood will be on later to advise but she has been busy with the Bath and West Show this week :innocent: .   
There is certainly an art to timimg your shearing for showing rather than for welfare and convenience.  Mine were done a week ago and the shearer said it was a bit early and the rise could have been better (we are in Dorset).  They are certainly not fit for showing now, with their purple spray marks!  Have a great day at the Cornwall tomorrow, lovely weather forecast :sunshine: :sunshine:

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 05:41:40 pm »
Hi folks!
DSBA guidelines are that all shows before June 10th are in full fleece, shows after this are shorn, but for welfare no shearing before 1st of April. Lambs are to be shorn by 31st July.
I hand sheared my rams at the beginning of May, and they have a good 3-4 inches on them now. The Bath & West show team were hand sheared on the last day in public, so have nowhere near enough wool now but by Okehampton they should be woolled up. So don't worry Solentfish, 8 week's growth should be fine  :thumbsup:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Solentfish

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:33:53 pm »
Thanks to you all for the help. I got loads of advice and tips at the cornwall show yesterday from the GFD exhibitors. I even got found a white coat to help take some of the groups into the show ring so really great experience for me.
So feeling a bit more prepared for having a good myself. Fingers crossed for my first go in the ring.
Julie

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 10:27:01 pm »
Great :thumbsup: .  I am sure you will enjoy it and the GFD crowd are a friendly bunch.  The show and sale at Exeter is good fun even if you are only watching. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS