Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Earwigs  (Read 4805 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Earwigs
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:40:41 am »
Not sure but something is eating my cucumber plants in the pollytunnel. There seems to be a lot of young earwigs. would they be my problem and if so what do I do.

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
Re: Earwigs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 06:50:41 pm »
An old trick is to put a garden cane alongside the plants, stuff a plant pot with straw and turn it upside down on the top of the cane. The theory is the earwigs nest in there to sleep, you just collect them in the morning and dispose of them. However, I have never tried this so don't know how successful it is.  Hate earwigs, especially when I have picked a few flowers and arranged them only to find these little monsters climbing down the vase.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:18:05 am »
Is it not more likely to be slugs and snails?  I don't think earwigs eat anything as large as plants, but go more for fungi and algae sized food.

I love earwigs, since I discovered more about them.  Yes they are annoying when I open the bolt on the wooden gate into my veg patch only to find it stuffed with earwigs, or when they take over my egg honesty box and get inside the egg boxes (the postie dropped his in the road once when he opened it to admire the colours but found an earwig in there  :roflanim: ). 

On the other hand, the females are very diligent mothers, washing and turning their eggs every day, so they don't get algae and mildew on, brooding the eggs like a hen and looking after their young when they are still at the white stage. If the eggs somehow get scattered the mother will search them out and bring them back to her nest, carrying them in her mouth. 
If you find them inside flowers, just hold the flowers upside down and shake or tap them before you bring them into the house.  I've noticed they particularly love to hide inside nasturtium flowers, down that tube at the back, so check that carefully before you put them in your salad  ;D   I don't think they do any harm in the garden but are just part of the huge variety of life.  They can give you a little nip if you threaten their babies - but that's fair.  Mainly they use those nippers to hold on with during mating, and to help fold their wings under the wing cases, as they are apparently very intricately folded.  Not the most beautiful of the insects, but they aren't criminals - and I doubt they are the culprits in your cucumber patch.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:22:39 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:13:58 pm »
I had thought it must be slugs but never found any. Could do with CTV in there but I expect that would be a bit over  the top even for me.  :innocent:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 11:08:19 pm »
I may be wrong but I thought earwigs ate decaying plant rather than fresh. I stand to be corrected if I'm talking jibberjabber  :innocent:

Just edited to say I talk jibberjabber  ;D been on the net to find out they love lots of plants and tender shoots  :o
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:11:22 pm by Mammyshaz »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 12:09:36 am »
Don't believe everything you read on the internet  :roflanim:

Sabrina, do you have a photo of the damage so we can hold an inquisition?  :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 01:32:28 am »
I can categorigally confirm that Mammyshaz has talked some jibberjabber  :D

I had a real earwig problem when I started up a garden next to a cottage.  The first year they stripped everything completely naked - green leaves and opening flower petals.   :rant:

I did the upside-down plant pots thing, though being a softie I couldn't kill the ravening b%$tds so took them a long long loooong walk into deep countryside and released them.

I did this every morning for months.  The numbers did decline somewhat but we didn't get to zero.  In the end I decided that the straw-filled upside-down plant pots were nearly as disfiguring as the depradations of the earwigs, so took them down.

After that first year I never had so much of a problem.  They were there, and they did eat some leaves and petals, but we had enough plants by then that I could spare some for the earwigs.  Maybe some earwig predators had moved in by then, too. ;)  We certainly had some toads - wonder if they eat earwigs? :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 08:23:55 am »
The jibberjabberer is me then......but I still won't believe such slander about my little pet earwigs until I see them with my own eyes becoming ravening hordes and demolishing plants  :eyelashes: ;D   Maybe you weren't feeding them enough moulds and fungi Sally so they were forced to eat your greenery, whilst finding every mouthful distasteful  :roflanim:    For there to be so many you must have disturbed their metropolis when you made the garden.  Oh how could you be so cruel  :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 08:49:18 am »
All true!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 04:54:23 pm »
I think jibberjabber is a wonderful word.  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 06:29:12 pm »
I think jibberjabber is a wonderful word.  ;D

But it's lots and lots of words  :-J

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 09:23:27 pm »
 :roflanim:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 09:04:41 am »
I have lettuce in the pollytunnel and nothing has touched that. Cucumber plants almost gone, cabbage plants not touched either. Going to put a straw filled pot in today. I found a load of babies under a stone that I had holding down some netting for the plant to grow up. I am not good at killing anything as everything has a right to life ( I know stupid ) never be a top gardener .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS