Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Perching and sealing the coups interior  (Read 4436 times)

Carol A

• Joined Jun 2009
Perching and sealing the coups interior
« on: July 18, 2009, 08:05:11 pm »
Hello again, I haven't been on for a few weeks but we need some advice please. We have 3 Lowman Browns and 3 Black Rocks approx 25 weeks old and have had these since the end of May. They are all laying extremely well but the problem is that only one BR will perch overnight, we have tried putting them up manually but to no avail as five were back on the floor of the coup before we let them out the next morning. Any ideas as to what to do to encourage them to perch? Also the OH wishes to seal the interior of our wooden coup and has been considering creosote - would this be a good idea or any other suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks
Caz n Tim

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Perching and sealing the coups interior
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 08:52:08 pm »
only if you have somewhere else to put them

Carol A

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 09:08:14 pm »
thought maybe the smell might be a bit overpowering... we'll have to consider something else. Just a thought on the perching problem, we've used broom shafts so could it be that they're not wide enough and so the chucks dont feel safe on them?
Caz n Tim

sandy

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:22:06 pm »
They seem to like more oblong bits of wood..3"x1" or similar, I find as their feet are big they like a more robust perch rather than a broom handle.

Carol A

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 09:27:10 pm »
I have found that they like to sit on the tubular frame of our swing seat so maybe something of that size maybe more suitable. Thanks again for the advice guys.
Caz n Tim

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 10:41:36 pm »
we use 2x2 for the perchs but they tend to put themselves every where.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 10:51:14 pm »
creasote is perfect but its got to be genuine stuff not substitute, you can only buy the genuine stuff from a farm supplier in a 25ltr drum, not diy store stuff as the genuine stuff is now considered dangerous, like everything else if you are an idiot its dangerous........... it will kill all the nasty things in you hen house mites EVERYTHING......... i use it with a brush and a mask, gloves would be a good idea, you cant spray it.....i cut tree branches of different sizes to perch on as they will find the one they like best
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:53:26 pm by harry »

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 03:33:30 pm »
what about quick lime? Will that do the same thing?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 05:03:51 pm »
well it would kill your hens but yes it would kill bugs. one of the reasons they used to limewash the cottages was to kill off the bugs. i would stick with an animal safe product.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 07:11:04 pm »
genuine cresote is animal safe....maybe a bit dodgy when wet,  just dont drink any... i use it and everything ok for past 3 years

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 08:34:03 pm »
true but i thought it was banned for everything other than agricultural use. just be careful when painting it on and wear gloves. and give it a good few days for the smell to go.

sandy

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 10:15:43 pm »
Love the smell

Carol A

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 11:25:24 pm »
I think we got it sorted - cover the coup with 8ft of overhanging roofing (keep off the rain) and take the felt off the coup, douse the girls with Diatom -megga dousing (works wonders) - brill results n finger's crossed.  :chook:
Caz n Tim

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS