Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheering my sheep myself  (Read 7836 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Sheering my sheep myself
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:35:52 pm »
Good Evening

After much deliberation i have decided to have a go and sheer my sheep myself. I have never sheared any sheep before. I have been looking at both mains and hand held sheares. Any advice on either of these welcomed. I have thought about getting some hand held sheares. How easy are these to use, as i am worried that i may cut my sheep by accident. I have clipped horses before, although i know that is is very different. I have only got 6 shetland sheep to do. It will also be the first time they will have been sheared.

Has anyone got any advice or pointers on how to make sure things run smoothly?

Regards

Emily

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
Re: Sheering my sheep myself
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:12:01 pm »

Make sure you're shears are sharp! I clip my own by hand and its hard work, it takes a while, they aren't the neatest but you do have the satisfaction of a job well done!

Don't worry to much about cutting the sheep even the best shearers do, (especially if they are wriggly, most cuts are superficial and fine sprayed with antibiotic spray,)

The British wool board provide courses to learn how to use electric clippers too check out there website. Good luck

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:37:12 am »
By hand held shears do you mean clippers with an integral battery or hand shears (like the Romans used)?

If you want to try the hand shears, Shetlands are the ideal breed to start with.  They have a clear rise in the fleece and you just cut along that.  If you wait for the rise to be about an inch above the skin, you won't cut the sheep.  You will soon gain confidence and the blade zooms along.  When you are using hand shears, you can feel the greater resistance of flesh compared with wool so you simply don't close the shears if it feels wrong.  Also you only cut where you can see what you are cutting, except opening up the neck, but you would lead the shears with your hand then so you would cut yourself rather than the sheep.

With Shetlands you could also roo them, but that is best left until their second shearing, as the rise is more clearly defined than a yearling fleece.

I think the key to shearing sheep is to control them properly so they don't squirm and fight, and leave you to concentrate on the shearing.  There are little tricks to keep them still in the various positions, which is a reason to watch professionals and see how they manage.  For example, when they are on their sides, a foot under the shoulder makes them think they are stuck so they don't try to get up, and when they are on their bums for clearing the belly, a hand pushing down on the brisket can settle them.

I haven't looked but there should be Utube clips for both machine clipping and hand shearing.  If you can find some then watch those many times to memorise the patterns.  It's also a good idea to see shearing demos at shows, and even shearing competitions, although they shear for speed more than beauty at a competition  :sheep:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:40:56 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mijbil

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 06:52:02 am »
I've got some electric dog clippers already- will they do the job, or does it need a longer blade?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:11:56 am »
Probably a wider and deeper toothed blade I would think to be ideal, also i think the greasy sheep coat wont do the doggy combs too much good. NB there's also the power question, it takes a lot more oomph to shear sheep than to clip dogs and horses, so check the motor is up to it, otherwise it becomes a bit of a false economy, I ended out buying second hand lister sheep shears instead.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 04:59:53 pm »
The grease in a sheeps fleece will kill the dog clippers in no time. Hand shears will do fine if you have the time. Make sure they are sharp. Otherwise.... find a shearer to do them, much easier!

It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 06:17:18 pm »
I use dog clippers ( oster golden A 5 ) with an 8.5 blade on my Ouessants. slower yes. I do them at a time that suits me so try to pick weather when the lanolin is  running and Ouessants are not overly endowed with lanolin.
 I am not comfortable with the large sheep clippers too large and heavy plus heads very large for little sheep does anyone use a brand of clippers that is specifically light weight. I trim dogs professionally but 1.2 kgs for  sheep shears is far too tiring on my hands!
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:50:57 pm »
just in from shearing mine by hand blades, it is more tricky, but as has been said you know if it feels, not right, its quieter too so for me anyways I find it easier to concentrate, and its definitely not all about speed, rather a balance between time and stress for the sheep and a job well done, personally I find the foot work to leave the left hand free to help the most tricky, especially with a wriggler. I had a good kick in the leg today good luck

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:39:32 pm »
oh and I found this to be quite a good demo, how to blade shear a sheep

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 10:04:28 am »
Hi,what wonderful skills the guy in the video demonstrates.My hands go numb just dagging with hand shears let alone shearing a whole sheep.

Graham.
Graham.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 11:44:21 am »
I imagine that hand shears are like scissors and you have left and right handed versions?  Speaking as a left hander who uses right handed scissors in both hands could I get the shears to work?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 12:19:29 pm »
I imagine that hand shears are like scissors and you have left and right handed versions?
Nope, they are universal. :)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 12:31:41 pm »
ahh :) I think I need to try a pair to see how I get on :excited:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 09:10:39 pm »
handshears are easier than electric clippers for beginners, my electric ones are extremely noisy. if you take your time then you wont nip them

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 09:29:28 pm »
I have blade sheared 20 of my Greyface Dartmoors using Jakoti shears which are lethally sharp, but excellent for cutting the tough fleece. Blade shears do come in left and right handed versions, so something for everyone  :thumbsup:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS