Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: not good:(  (Read 2451 times)

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
not good:(
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:07:09 pm »
I just went out to put the hens to bed.

One of them was hiding under a shelter type hiding place we made for them. I called and rattled about a bit like usual to get her out and herded back into the coop, but she wouldn't come out..
I ended up dismantling it around her and she just stood there shaking looking very sorry for herself.
I had to put her to one side while I got the others in. I tried putting her in a nice corner of the coop but the turkey went in and had a right go at her to get in where she was, so I took her out and one of the other hens started pecking her. She is one of the balder ones but certainly not the baldest.

She looks shocked to be honest, as if something has really frightened her :( she felt quite cool for a chicken too, I am always surprised how hot they are but not this one.

She's in a separate coop tonight to see if a bit of peace allows her to recover. They were all fine at seven when i went  out to them.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: not good:(
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:49:50 pm »
Could be that something's frightened her, or it might be just that she's getting picked on. Do you have another peaceful hen that could be with her, and pen the two separately for a while?

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:35:45 am »
Up until last night they all got on fine.

She seems a bit brighter this morning. She has laid a very soft shelled egg and done a poo so nothing is blocked up.
I have a seperate space she can go in. I will choose a quiet one to go in with her for the day.

I'm very surprised, I thought I would find her dead this morning.

Why would they suddenly start picking on one when they have all been fine since yesterday? Or could they be pecking her because she was ill?

I wish I didn't have to go out  to work today.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:12:05 am »
Hope she is okay.

Yes, if it were me I would follow Jaykay's suggestion.

Occasionally ours have sudden "fall outs", where previously they had lived together with no problems. Because mine free range, they tend to go off and find a different coop to sleep in where they find less trouble. Maybe the other ex-batts are gaining condition faster than her and she is being pushed down the pecking order. They can be quite cruel to each other and this would make her reluctant to go in at night. The lower birds, in the pecking order, are often last or first in to bed we find. Avoiding confrontation with others I suppose.

Can turkeys live in with hens? Never kept them but thought that I'd read they must be separate due to, is it Black head disease?

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:17:15 pm »
She has always lived with chickens. I assumed it was ok, I think when I said on here I was getting her it was mentioned but the general feeling seemed to be that it was ok?

I will look into it.....

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 01:24:05 pm »
Chickens will attack and kill any sickies if space is short. I've seen even the lowest in the pecking order pecked near to death (not my chickens I may add).

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 01:48:08 pm »
Z-E - Wouldn't mind a turkey or two  ;D . Had ruled them out because of our many chooks but may look into it then. Think they would have to be "pets" though as they seem such characters. The children love them and find them hilarious.  :)

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:29:40 pm »
Teacup is very much a pet. She was in love with the dog at her old home and would rub herself against the fence near him. They have loads of space, but just in case we are planning on moving things about a bit so they have even more. it should also stop the turkey being able to jump onto the roof of the henhouse and then up a tree.

We have rigged up a safe place for now, a separate run with a small gap so a hen can get through but not a turkey. The victim seems ok now, it took me a while to even work out which one it was. Keeping a close eye on the situation now tho.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS