Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis?  (Read 3390 times)

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
Mastitis?
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:05:34 pm »
Hi all, our Dexter calved yesterday morning, all went well, however this morning she didn't eat her feed, seemed very tender on her hind feet and just seemed out of sorts, we checked her temp and it was 40.5 so we called the vet and he gave her some antibiotics and left some to give her for the next few days. This evening she ate her nuts and hay however she still seems off colour, I checked her teats on one side and they are harder than the other side, I tried to milk her out but wasn't really getting anywhere, the other side seems emptier, she stood while I tried but seemed in discomfort, and whatever milk I got from the larger side was almost orange in colour (but no lumps or clots), I wonder would the orange colour be the colostrum?  I will check her again in the morning but I do want to milk her out in case the calf is favouring one side over the other and that this might lead to mastitis, have any of ye any tips as to how to get the milk down?  I tried massaging her udder and sponging it down with warm water but still no joy, I get a few squirts and no more, am I being too over zealous considering that she just calved yesterday morning or should I just call the vet again?

Thanks in advance

Brid

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Mastitis?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:50:36 pm »
Colostrum can be orange, yes.  Freeze it for your next calving or lambing!

The newborn calf won't yet be drinking as much as she is producing, especially if she has a very big bag.  Initially the calf will probably only use one teat.  It will be easiest to get the milk when she is feeding her own calf. 

Is the udder hot?  Does she still have a temperature?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

scottyboy

• Joined May 2011
  • forfar scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:52:14 pm »
hi brid sorry to hear about your problem,keep going with trying to strip the milk it might take a little time but it will come would be surprised if you have to call the vet again good luck let me know how you get on

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:00:41 pm »
Hi, thanks for the quick replies, I just checked her temp again and its down to 37.7 phew, she was lying down when I went in and I got a few more squirts from her, the udder seems no hotter than the other side but it is a lot bigger, also the orangey 'milk' seems to smell, the only way I can describe it is it smells like chemicals or something like that ??, its a strong but not overpowering smell, the other side doesn't smell like that, so Im hoping its still the colostrum, its our first cow and our first calf so just want to make sure she's ok and comfortable in every way, I will try her again in the morning, poor thing is wrecked like any other new mum I guess.

Thanks
 Bríd

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 10:30:40 pm »
How did you get on with her? We learnt a valuable trick/lesson in treating mastitis the last week with Betty- she had been getting milked every 2-3 days on the farm she came from but when she arrived her udder was massive and tasted slightly sour. A quick google and we came up with this- strip milk the infected udder then feed it back to her (we mixed it with nuts). Within 36 hrs her milk was as delicious as a delicious thing, apparently it's the body creates antibodies when it enters the digestive cycle that can't be created when it's sat in the udder. Saved a callout and antibiotics.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 11:23:16 am »
I've never heard of that, Captain, but will certainly give it a try next time we have a cow with mastitis.  Thanks.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS