Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rain in Central Europe  (Read 1715 times)

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Rain in Central Europe
« on: June 04, 2013, 12:48:59 pm »
Yep we are wet The ground is saturated, the ponds full, streams right up to their limit AND a week on, its still raining. Luckily we are at the top end of the valley I know its A LOT worse further down stream. Our local fire brigade have been called out a few times (mainly flooded cellars I think)
I keep thinking its stopping but it only eases off, then starts again. Monday night it stopped for an hour or so at 700 in the eve, I thought it was the end but woke up to rain again this morning.
MUCH worse elsewhere though.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: Rain in Central Europe
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:23:17 pm »
I've seen the pictures on the news and it looks awful over there. Keep safe and i hope you will be ok. :hug:
Sounds like our summer here last year only on a much grander scale

Wee Eck

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Lennoxtown Scotland
    • Homes4Hens Glasgow Collection Point
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:48:33 pm »
Not nice ..I know we moan a lot about the weather but there always seems to be someone, somewhere worse off than us.  Hope you keep safe and suffer no damage to your property.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:07:27 pm »
Worst seems over here we have had a gentle breeze and SUN today so drying things up. The water is flowing downstream though still causing problems. Luckily ALL streams and rivers seem to be constructed with large flood plains included. The Elbe was 9 metres above normal but in the centre of Dresden one side of the river has a huge grass bank all along one side so the water has somewhere to go ( I cant think of any river in the UK that would even cope with half the rise in water level. Further south, the Danube, seems to be causing huge problems.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 10:26:13 pm »
The River Severn, which is near us, regularly floods its banks. Ironbridge has flood barriers erected when floods threaten but it still goes over the roads and the town is closed for a while.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 12:02:07 pm »
Yep MGW I remember being down that way one year on a narrow boat on the Avon....we were stuck in Tewksbury for a day or so. Could have been worse....did have to race back though when the bridges were passable again though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS