Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tag removal  (Read 5551 times)

raindogs

• Joined May 2012
Ear tag removal
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:19:08 pm »
I've just acquired two lovely OSB weaners. They've got yellow circular ear tags with the breeder's herd number. I know I have to have my own number on when I take them off in six months or so. Any thoughts on when and how to remove them? My inclination is to do it as soon as possible to give them as much tag-free time as possible. Thanks in advance.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Ear tag removal
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:04:32 pm »
Why do you want to remove the tags now?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 01:34:06 pm »
It is technically illegal to remove the tag under The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 2011 part 5 article 22 :

"No person may, unless authorised by the Secretary of State, remove or deface an identification mark"

What you should do is either add a tag with your herd or slapmark.  Both are best done just before they go off (as you plan to do), as there is no requirement under law to do so beforehand, and tags may get damaged.

As for your current tags, they are not hurting the pig I would leave them in, button tags normally are fine.  It is flag tags that are more prone to being pulled out - Note: more prone doesn't mean they will, and we have sows with flag tags who are quite happy with them !

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:05:14 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:03:39 pm »
Most of ours have managed to remove their tags themselves.

raindogs

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 03:22:08 pm »
Thanks, everyone. Do nothing is just what I need to hear!

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 04:03:51 pm »
Hi
Just raising this one again. We have sow who is going to slaughter, and has an ear tag, with CPH etc belonging to the original breeder. However since acquiring her as a piglet we have moved and have new CPH and herd mark ( obv). We slap rather than tag....will the tag cause confusion ( given the eAML identification etc). Is it somethong you would raise (new slaughter house as her size prohibits her transport to our usual place).

OH was considering removing tag ( with some trepidation) until I read oaklands post to him....

thanks all
Jo

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 05:03:42 pm »
Well, we are in Scotland, but ours go the abattoir with their original tag (from breeder, we buy in as weaners), I inform the relevant office of the planned move and they say it's ok. I don't add any additional tags (abattoir hates that) and we are not set up to slap mark...

Of course the paperwork from the intial move to us from breeder is there, so the numbers can be followed through. Certainly that's what should happen, traceability and all that...

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 05:46:43 pm »
Thanks Anke
Husband is taking issue with the fact that the abbatoir can see the ear tag, but not the slap mark, and the eAML 'paperwork' reflects the slap mark. They must see this all the time, but he hates taking the pigs off ( there have been 'trailer related issues' in the past) and he likes to worry about it all going wrong. It being the first time to this place is not helping. He made a trial run this morning (without trailer) but this is his current nagging worry.

Did your paperwork match the orginal tag or not? Paperwork is available, but when I mentioned this to OH he said there was likely no -one to show it to; he is worried that the issue will arise later.....( I have tried to say, but by that time our slap mark will be visible.....)
Jo

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 06:49:40 pm »
Tag should not cause confusion.
I would slap her, and just handwrite the eartag number on the form as a backup eg "also tagged with original breeder ID AB1234".
Basically the abattoir won't give a dam what number is on it as long as they can tie up the paperwork. Once killed the slap will be clearly visible, and will be used by them.
As I say it is not the abattoir's job to worry about what number is on there, as long as there is one. That is the province of the State Vet and Meat Hygiene service - and the latter two will only check  if there is an issue, hence you should apply your mark and your covered.
Abattoirs can add additional requirements eg some insist on you slapping, and some (eg Laverstoke park) will only allow eartags if there are two, one in each ear. Of course that is totally up to them - they can make any conditions as part of doing business with them.
And yes your hubby is worrying too much!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 06:01:15 am »
I have raised three lots of two weaners and all had the original breeders tags. I have not added any further identification and the abbatoir has never questioned this.

I have always been intrigued as to what would happen if the tags were read and checked  against the movement form when the pigs were unloaded into their pens and then rejected. How could they be reloaded until they had gone through a six day standstill?

Regards, David

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 08:58:46 am »
David,

Whilst it is unlikely to happen, the SVS/MHS have powers to condemn the pigs as not legally identified, and they would be slaughtered with the meat not allowed to enter the food chain.  Not only would you not get your pigs back, but the abattoir would still charge you for slaughter, and you would also be charged for disposal of the condemned meat !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:23 am »

Husband is taking issue with the fact that the abbatoir can see the ear tag, but not the slap mark, 

this isnt the case when the head is off and body scaled. the slap will still be there.

How could they be reloaded until they had gone through a six day standstill?

animals cant leave the abbattoir alive. they'l just be condemned for human consumption rather than sent home.

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 02:14:29 pm »
Hi All
Update is that we took Oaklands advice and put a note on the printed eAML ( hauliers) form re eartag number, but as was suggested there was no issue at all, it all went very smoothly. -I will add to your good abbattoir thread as OH had some positive comments to make.

thanks for sound advice (similar to my own thinking, but sometimes it takes a 3rd/4th persons opinion...and threat of illegality)
Jo

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 04:37:42 pm »
There are a lot of questions about tags, slapmarks etc that can be solved easily with a phone call to the relevant abatoir.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS