Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quail eggs hatching early  (Read 5034 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Quail eggs hatching early
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:43:48 pm »
I have Quail eggs in the incubator and tonight 1 chick is out and others are chipping even though they are only on day 15   ::)  We had a bit of a delay getting them in as we had to get a new incubator when the old one decided to not work
Could them sitting in the tack room on a warm day have set them off developing before they went in ?
Graham

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Quail eggs hatching early
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:53:04 pm »
We have had them pip on day 16 and everything was fine so hopefully won't make too much difference.

Maybe some early development did take place.

I wonder if they would hatch a touch early if the temp. in your incubator was a little high  :-\  ... ?

Still here's for a good hatch  :fc:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:39:50 pm »
I'd love to have quails but i was told not to bother as they always fight, and if they didn't kill each other they'd die of drafts.  Is that true?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:48:51 pm »
I have just started with them again by getting hatching eggs. I kept them many years ago in the bottom of the bird aviary, they used to go through a hatch into the outdoor flight even when we had rain/snow. they still seemed to live around 2 - 21/2 yrs living like this and all of the eggs where always fertile from them
Graham

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:07:32 am »
Doganjo- The males will fight and are in general very aggressive. Females are usually fine though and live together peacefully within an existing group ..... introducing new birds of any sex can be tricky but not impossible.

We have found them to be hardy little birds and they survived those -20 nights of the recent bad winters with no problems. They were outside on the grass in coops .... did cover the coops at night for a bit of extra protection but that is all.

If you hatch your own, then you have the problem with the males but if you bought some females and a single male as young birds then ....  :excited:  .... lots and lots of eggs.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:50:10 pm »
Thanks, ItH - ebay?  or do you know of someone in Scotland (preferably Central) where I could buy some - and what price would I pay?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »
Sorry, don't know of anyone that far North.

If you were interested in adult birds, they are available around here for £5 per bird. The only thing I would say to be aware of is buying from someone reputable because IMO it is difficult to tell their age .... much more so than with hens where it is pretty easy to tell a pullet from an older bird.

If you want to try hatching, there are lots advertised on E-bay and we have had good results this way. Very good from a Quail Farm in Wales. Forget it's name but you would find it in a search ..... just a bit far for eggs to be sent I suppose and the boys are a problem this way  ::) . You could eat them though.  ;D

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 07:42:15 am »
There are several TAS members bought our quail eggs and had good results :thumbsup:

Sokel..........we've had plenty (100's) pip on day 15 and hatch day 17 ....is no problem.....tho we haven't found them to be particularly hardy during the harsh winter we.ve just had.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS