Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WANTED - Goat Collars  (Read 3126 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
WANTED - Goat Collars
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:25:07 pm »
I've recently bought a whole bunch of new goat collars but unfortunately the snap closures seem to come undone somehow whilst the goats are out grazing.  I don't know HOW they get them undone, but they do.  The snap itself isn't particularly stiff in its operation and I think this is possibly the problem. So, question is......who can recommend decent goat collars with the slide-in snap closures that aren't too expensive ?!  :thumbsup:    Thanks all.
(PS The person that made the current ones has kindly 'asked' for them back and will refund my money - she is a goat keeper herself but hasn't had a problem although I think her goats are yarded rather than out free-ranging like my gang are...on these glorious summer days)
Ta muchly.,
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: WANTED - Goat Collars
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:15:29 pm »
Funnily enough a couple of my goats collars keep coming undone but input it down to the kids playing with them or just rubbing against fence. Suppose safer they undo than strangle the goat.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:24:40 pm »
Couldn't agree more, but these just seem to come undone for no reason.   There are no scuffs on them or teeth marks etc and one of them is on the big buck and NO ONE messes with him LOL.    :roflanim:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:39:08 pm »
Have you tried on ebay in the pet accessories  joblot section  ? That's where we get ours  :thumbsup:
Graham

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:18:36 am »
Their must be a mystery collar undoer! I went out this morning And another was on the ground. No marks on buckle and no where near an obstacle. Very strange  ???

morganski1

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:50:23 am »
Why don't you try the headcollar they use for foals.  Called foal slips, these are very good at staying on goats and foals!.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 01:39:18 pm »
Their must be a mystery collar undoer! I went out this morning And another was on the ground. No marks on buckle and no where near an obstacle. Very strange  ???

Snap  :roflanim:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:00:02 pm »
I use ANCOL dog collars with the push in clip.....................never had a problem with these ones.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 10:21:53 pm »
I use ANCOL dog collars with the push in clip.....................never had a problem with these ones.

i use these too - the breast cancer charity ones - so they all have pink ones...lol.  used the same ones for years and no sign of breaking even with tethering flighty goats.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 06:42:03 pm »
I'll check out the Ancol ones and all the joblot section on Ebay  :thumbsup: .   Have lost two out there in the fields now and the grass is growing, so can't find them  :rant: .    I bought a cheepo one from The Factory Shop today and put that on the Buck this afternoon......and he came in with it still on  :fc: .
Thanks all.
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 09:09:45 pm »
I use the large dog collars at pets at home, with snap fast thingamyjigs.  not had a problem with them.  Apart from when my wether kid pulled a bit too hard on the lead and it released him and he legged it..... ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 10:35:49 pm »
I use the large dog collars at pets at home, with snap fast thingamyjigs.  not had a problem with them.  Apart from when my wether kid pulled a bit too hard on the lead and it released him and he legged it..... ::)

Haha.... and yep, its those ones with the snap fast thingamyjigs that I like to use too.    :thumbsup:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS