Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bracken toxicity in soil?  (Read 6696 times)

george

• Joined Mar 2013
Bracken toxicity in soil?
« on: March 28, 2013, 01:37:00 pm »
Good afternoon-  we have a couple of small paddocks on a south facing slope , sphagnum moss/peat derived soils acidic and wet mainly through neglect of ditches and general drainage.  I was hoping to create kitchen garden/ fruit growing areas in this patch with suitable species however the great challenge before any of that will be our battle with the bracken fern that has TOTAL CONTROL of this land  Prior to our arrival here last year this land has been thoroughly neglected for what must be decades.  I don't want to loose all of it because the bracken does create/support certain wildlife environments, moss species are thriving alongside and underneath it and we appreciate that very much.
However,we would like some cultivated areas. I have heard a lot about bracken toxicity related to livestock but what I would appreciate is knowing whether or not anyone is aware of a risk to human health of residual toxicity in the soil  from vast amounts of fern rhizome (some live , some dead and decaying) and decades worth of decaying foilage in the top 50-75mm. It is so established that cutting into the ground with a matock is like trying to slice a rhubarb crown in half.  I am just wondering about any residual bracken nasties making their way into any new crops that we manage to get growing in this battelground - thanks in advance for any guidance

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
Re: Bracken toxicity in soil?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:37:48 am »
Morning,

Been pondering this and, to be frank, I have no idea. I do know that Asulox can still be used under certain special conditions this year (WooooHooo thanks EU for the generosity !! ???  ).
Otherwise Glysophate can be applied.

The RHS seem to say that any danger is mostly from the (young) fronds
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=445

For control of the rhizomes...? The Cold and wet seems to the main factors so, what?.....plough late in the year, glysophate the rhizomes then leave them exposed for the (hopefully) cold/wet winter?
I'll ask a forestry chap I know, see what he says.
Rgds
Sskye.
Rgds
Sskye

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:28:13 pm »
Sorry, no more help than above according to my forestry friend.
best of luck
Sskye
Rgds
Sskye

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 11:55:07 am »
I'm aware of the toxicity issues when the plant is alive, young shoots and spores esp, but when rotted I can't find anything about it. In fact bracken looks like a good addition to compost under the right circumstances, and I was told that when dried it is good bedding for stock.... This link was quite interesting:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?PID=445

I would have thought the leaves could be cleared either when young, so now ish, or dry/dead in winter, no point wasting good compost material. Then I personally would chuck some pigs in - I am very biased toward pigs and against using any chemicals - but pigs do such a great job of digging, I've used them here for everything from clearing rushes to digging stones out of the veg patch! Why not, they love it, keeps the entertained, and even if I had time I can't be ar$£d  ;)

They would then get most of the roots out - they don't seem to be the poisonous part and from my own experience of pigs getting into a slightly wooded area with bracken in, they cleared the lot and it hasn't come back so far. This wasn't planned and it was in leaf if I remember rightly but there were no ill effects, maybe it got trampled rather than eaten but the roots certainly went! We'll be planting some willow in the resulting empty space to stabilise the slope, just as soon as the fencing is pig proof again  ;D

HTH
Helen  :pig:
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 02:54:05 pm »
I don't think there are any toxicity issues as there is a commercial brand of compost that is made from fleece and bracken. It will tend to acidify the soil - which makes it great as a mulch on blueberry beds. I would second the pig suggestion - that is certainly my plan for when I get as far as our bracken infested area.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 10:48:13 pm »
The local permaculture expert uses bracken as mulch on his veg so I would agree there's no toxicity there.

I'm following this thread with interest as I've got some similar areas and am trying to decide how best to tackle the bracken & brambles (wavering between goats & pigs).

I was told by a chap who used to do land management for council(s) and he said applying lime will kill off the bracken (which you may want to do if soil is acidic anyway(?). But ask others as I'm just quoting 2nd hand info.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS