Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Creosote  (Read 4187 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Creosote
« on: June 01, 2013, 11:06:35 pm »
I've just painted the inside of my hen house with old creosote (i.e. the keep away mites variety). It's not yet dry and still smells awful in there so I've put the chickens (only three of them using it at the moment) into an outhouse for the night. Anybody know how long I should keep them out of the house? They didn't seem that keen on going in there anyway but that may be partly because I hadn't put any bedding back in so it looked unfamiliar as well as smelling awful.

H

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Creosote
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 04:32:46 am »
2 weeks is the minimum HesterF. The fumes will make them ill and the creosote will burn on contact. We do ours with a 50:50 creosote and paraffin mix. Just as effective but is dry in a week, or less if the coop is dismantled and the panels left in the sun. Don't creosote the perches at all, just the ends.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:44:22 pm »
Thanks Chris,

Whoops! Too late on the perches. Reckoned if the red mite work their way along normally, I should cover them. We had a duck house on stand-by so we've assembled that today and they're in there tonight (easier than the outhouse since it's in the run with them and doesn't require me running up and down the field with wriggling chickens under my arm). Will keep them in there for two weeks by which time they'll have to move out for the ducklings to go in anyway.

How often do you need to reapply the creosote (assuming I can ever get hold of it again - this was a pot my dad has had for the last half century or so)? Hoping less than once a year! (I still smell)

H

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:31:38 am »
Scatts in Canterbury sell creoste. Think it is 20 litres. We do our chicken house once a year.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:37:42 am »
Once a year HesterF. But next time dilute it -you will find it much easier. I was really ill when I did the first coop assembled. Creosote burns on my hands and sick and dizzy for 3 days. Yes- I had the door open and the vents.

Creosote may soon be outlawed. I would buy some quickly. 20 litres will last years and there is no effective alternative. I bought 40 litres over when we moved as you can't get it here.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:48:50 am »
I thought they'd already changed the formulation so it was no longer as effective as the 'old' stuff? I'm going over to SCATs this week so I'll stock up!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 10:28:16 am »
You can still buy the real stuff if you're a "trade" user, ie farmer, fencing contractor etc.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 10:40:50 am »
Definately the real stuff had the burning rash to prove it!! Think is is a 40 litre tub and cost about £40ish pounds if my memory serves me right.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 04:40:12 am »
The old stuff is creosote, only available to the trade (supposedly) in 20L or larger tubs. I got ours from an independent agricultural merchant. The new stuff is creocote (5L tubs from any DIY store) -smells similar and supposedly does the same job but I have heard it has little effect on red mite.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS