Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pigs and nettles  (Read 10981 times)

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
pigs and nettles
« on: May 31, 2013, 02:47:51 pm »
Hello
being new to pigs, my wife, Emma, asked a question which i cant answer :dunce:

do pigs get bothered/stung by nettles? ???  I know that most will eat nettles quite happily, but?

after all their skin is sensitive... they get sunburnt? ???

any help please

Nic
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:08:24 pm by nicandem »

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: pigs and nettles
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:45:17 pm »
Nope, they don't get stung and yes, they'll eat the lot![size=78%] [/size] :) [size=78%] They're exceptionally good at clearing fields of stinging nettles as they'll eat them root and all[/size] :pig:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 10:17:58 pm »
Absolutely agree .... I pull them up roots and all they eat the lot!!  They love them.  :thumbsup:
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 09:51:28 am »
Our pigs love nettles too especially the large pigs who because of their rhino skin don't get nettled however we did have some GOS weaners who came out in a stonker of a rash on their undercarriages and the vet  said it was nettle rash and gave them antihistimines as it was very bad so bear it in mind if you're puttin weaners into very nettly ground.
HTh
mandy :pig:

gogogarden

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:42:01 am »
Our first GOS had a lovely nettle rash on their ears but it did not seem to bother them.  Our current boys (Berkshires) like to get the nettles that I pull up from elsewhere as an extra treat.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 04:08:35 pm »
Same with the Kunekunes - they adore nettles, leaves, stems, roots, the lot - they'll go for them before the grass.
Never known them to get stung / irritated by nettles - probably due to the hairy coats, but then the wee guys don't get sunburn either ...  :innocent:
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 03:58:22 pm »
I must have the exception to the rule in regard to eating nettles, OH has just had to run the mower over them as they the girls are not interested in eating them :innocent:
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:05:29 pm »
Us too. I was just beginning to wonder why I had weird pigs that wont eat  the nettles at all. Would be pretty handy if they did eat them.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:11:43 pm »
Last years pigs would not touch them but I was advised to pull/cut nettles and leave them a day before giving them to the pigs. Our GOS luv them like this but we have now run out of nettles already.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 06:22:48 am »
Last years pigs would not touch them but I was advised to pull/cut nettles and leave them a day before giving them to the pigs. Our GOS luv them like this but we have now run out of nettles already.

if your really short of them and want to come and 'crop' mine you would be welcome  :innocent:

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 06:56:29 am »
different litters like different things it seems.  My first litter 5 years ago cleared a 2 acre field that was entirely nettles ... this left a vacancy for the thistles though ::)... last years litter didn't go after them, though Charlotte their mum did.  There are no nettles in the pig field where they now are and they chomp through the wire to get at the nettles in the field next door.

I also feed nettles to my horse, having waited a couple of hours for the sting to go out.... I look a right mad old bat.  me at night on the common, arms full of cowslips for the horse, nettles for the horse and nettles for the pigs ... ah well, we weren't all made to be elegant and beautiful ;)

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 07:15:39 am »
 :wave:
Do the pigs touch the thistles?  Or are they all left for us to pull out?

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 07:51:11 am »
my pigs ineffectually nibble thistles... I ended up digging them out they were so big... this year that field is the allotment and when I see one.... I pounce and show no mercy..

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 11:58:54 am »
i think it depends on how much land you have for them. my pigs were in woods with dense stingers in some parts - they showed definite signs of being stung on the belly by kicking at their skin. they also didnt eat the nettles as they had other grazing alternatives. our stinkers are fierce and on humans still hurt after 5 or so hours.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS