Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone make any money from pigs?  (Read 20602 times)

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Does anyone make any money from pigs?
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2013, 07:57:18 pm »
Near Cambridge, the same feed from another shop they wanted over £9. Everything is normally expensive, but it was that price 8 weeks ago.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2013, 08:03:36 pm »
Too far away for us  ::)

:fc:  for you that it hasn't gone up in price the last couple of months.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2013, 09:21:00 pm »
Costs are not that relevant for someone keeping a few weaners for their own freezer and buying a few bags of feed at a time is never going to get you the best price. I'm constantly shocked at the prices some people have been paying though. Anyone who keeps pig seriously is going to be getting their feed a lot cheaper than the quoted per bag retail prices but if you use a lot even a few pence a bag makes a difference.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2013, 06:45:28 pm »
When my  GOS  has her litter, I wont be able to sell the pork from them as GOS pork unless the litter is registered but I will be quite in my right to say that the piglets have come from a regeistered mum and dad. 
the offspring dont need to be registered but birth-notified to be sold as pedigree. you can download forms from BPA once they are slaughtered to prove the carcus is from reg parents. only breeding stock needs to be registered (ie best 10%)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2013, 08:54:45 pm »
@honeyend - we've been getting the duffields for a while now and they seem absolutely fine - we get them at ~£6.70 a bag but do get half a ton at a time which brings the price down a bit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS