Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kerry Hill sheep, anybody in suffolk keep them?  (Read 6255 times)

wallyward

• Joined Mar 2012
Kerry Hill sheep, anybody in suffolk keep them?
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:50:44 am »
Hi

After a great day at the Suffolk show yesterday my OH has fallen in love with Kerry Hill sheep. Suits me as she has stated she would get a lot more involved with the sheep if we had some of these.

So does anyone in Suffolk/Norfolk keep Kerry hills? what are their pros and cons? we have Dorset Downs at the momment in one flock and a share of a flock of southdowns and Hampshires.

would be looking for a 2 crop ewe (or two) and maybe a ram lamb to put across them at tupping time. what sort of monet should i be looking at and does anyone know anybody with stock for sale? yes I know should have taken the number from the show but wasnt untill end of day I realised how much the OH had fallen for them.

many thanks

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
Re: Kerry Hill sheep, anybody in suffolk keep them?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 08:16:35 am »
http://yvonnebrown.vpweb.co.uk/List-of-Society-Members.html   this link gives a list of breeders.
I spoke to the breed secretary recently and asked about prices, I was told a ram could cost 2k + !! But think she was referring to top prices made at the sales. I think there are some details of sale results on the society website to give an idea, but think there is quite a bit of demand for the breed which is reflected in the prices.
I was warned that they are hill sheep so expect them to behave like that rather than quieter downland breeds. Would love to have some too but as the society discourages MV accreditation and we keep our Zwartbles flock MV accredited we have unfortunately decided against it for the time being.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:48:13 am »
http://mccartneys.co.uk/content/_cms_post_data/media/1346/Kerry_Hill_Show_and_Sale_Report_2012.pdf

another link which gives sale prices from one of last years breed sales.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:17:46 pm »
Hi

After a great day at the Suffolk show yesterday my OH has fallen in love with Kerry Hill sheep. Suits me as she has stated she would get a lot more involved with the sheep if we had some of these.

We were there too - pity we didn't know your face.  We also fell for the grey faced dartmoors!!  At least they don't seem quite so expensive!!

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 02:36:32 pm »
 :wave:

I must admit, they do look lovely!  I was amazed at how many were at the Newark and Notts show a few weeks back.  Then again, one shed did seem to be full of Jacobs and Kerry Hills alone.

Pipsa

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 08:11:56 pm »
I have some Kerry Hills - they are lovely looking sheep but unfortunately not very docile which makes
looking after them a bit more challenging. If I had to choose between Kerry Hills and Grey faced Dartmoor
I would choose Grey faced Dartmoor.
I bought a Kerry Hill ram last year for £130.

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 11:36:31 pm »
As above, Kerry Hills are flighty things, have worked with these and would  not consider them for myself, they are very attractive though.  Maybe buy some that have been dragged round the shows and are used to people and being handled, then anything you breed should inherit their mothers behaviour around people?
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

FreshMeadow

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 09:17:11 pm »
I might be able to help with some background here. We decided to move into Kerry Hills back in the spring and after some research travelled down to Wales last weekend and came back with a flock of 15 (mix of ewes, yearlings and lambs at foot plus a ram). We found that there were too few for sale over in the south to start a flock without risking bloodlines in a few years and so decided that the trip to Wales was worth it for an initial set up. The  flock book secretary was VERY helpful and even gave up her bank holiday Monday to inspect the stock before we purchased (to register offspring you have to be a member of the flock book and have to have your stock inspected initially).

People warned us off Kerries because they were flighty, but equally speaking to a couple of breeders they all said it comes down to handling. Turn them in a field and bring them in every couple of months and they will cause you trouble, handle them and they will be fine. We brought ours home on Monday and kept them in for a few days before turning them out. Now they are waiting at the gate to come in :) the ram was terrified of us on day 1 but after only 24 hours was brave enough to come forward and 6 days later eats out of our hands. So fingers crossed. Ask me again next week and I might feel different but so far so good!

l200derek

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:04:50 am »
hi,
we keep kerry hills but were based in kent but may have some kerry hill ewes for sale this autumn if your interested?

Copeson

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 12:38:09 pm »
Hi we are new to the group and I was goggling Kerry sheep and saw your talk, as we are getting3 ewes with lambs today !! how are you getting on with yours ? I also love Grey Faced Dartmoors but was having trouble finding any and we were offered the Kerry's must admit I'm a little worried  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS