Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Odd job man - How much £  (Read 10976 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Odd job man - How much £
« on: May 29, 2013, 11:56:49 pm »
How much would you expect to be paid as a casual cash in hand odd job man?  Bit of labouring, tending veg plot, lugging 'stuff' from A to B, general smallholding maintenance etc
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
Re: Odd job man - How much £
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 12:09:31 am »
I'd be looking to be starting at minimum wage for a set number of hours per week with a list of things to work through in my alloted time.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 12:26:17 am »
If it helps my hubby is a gardener - works alone.  He started at £10 per hour 2 years ago and now charges £12 per hour.  He will also do any other odd jobs that people ask for - like painting, erecting sheds, unlocking toilets (!)

Donna

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 06:39:51 am »
Going rate here is £13 /hour

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 07:13:55 am »
with the price of fuel//etc etc i would look at £12 per hour,for a 3 hour shift.... if you are getting good amount of hours per day..then £10

if its a case of 1 hour then £15..... you must take into account your fuel bill getting there

i offered to fit a lounge carpet 17 miles away for £50.... the return trip would have cost me £10 (fuel ,tax, insurance )
£10 worth of extras.Gripper, doorbar, ...so £30 would be my labour....i was told they were expecting to pay about £20

charge what your worth.......

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 08:06:15 am »
My car is not economical and cost me £25 in fuel a day to go to work a 60 mile round trip, so it also depends on the car and the journey....I pay a fixed rate for any handy man usualy, agree on a price for a days work.....the reason behind that is then we are both happy, they get the job done quickly and I am not paying for tea breaks and they can go home early if necessary..as long as the jobs done well enough, but if you want one on a regular basis it will be hourly rate, I would say depending on how many hours £12 ph....thats my going rate  :roflanim:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:28:12 am »

This is a really useful thread for us small holders who need the odd helping hand.

However I think this is going to be quite area dependant so maybe everyone could say at least which country they re in if not county

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 08:33:40 am »
Interesting to read this. I only work for friends at the moment - so it's not always a proper hourly rate I charge, because I know they can't afford it. They are farmers; their work doesn't pay them £7/hour - they are lucky if they don't have to pay the farm bills from what they earn elsewhere (in fact, I know they do that anyway)... So how could I charge them more, when I can't even do the job as well as they do it themselves?

I tend to charge for effective work, meaning if I think I've not done the work as fast or well as I should, I don't charge for all the hours I've been with them. But it's different if you are not "helping friends", but actually working. (And yes, I have to live on what I earn too. So really, it would be better if I worked not for friends, but for somebody who could afford to pay me...)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:40:05 am »
In East Yorkshire backinwellies.  Distance to travel is about 2 miles.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 09:05:18 am »
I think if you pay a odd job man £15 per hour you are mad. I am a carpenter and joiner with 30 years experience and charge about £15 depending on the job. I would not pay a odd job man more than £8 - £10. The clue is in the name odd job in other words not qualified or time served in anything.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 09:09:19 am »
ah but that depends on the nature of the odd jobs

if im using all my kit and travelling to you expect to pay 12 per hour plus my travel costs

big jobs the price drops little jobs it goes up.

if you just want some muscle and not my tools then we are at 10 per hour plus travel

all work is done on a fixed price basis though, never quote hourly i quote to finish the job.

If anyone in central Scotland needs anything doing i'm available  :excited: :excited: :excited:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 09:11:28 am »
I pay my window cleaner £10 once a month for all my windows and he does it in about 20 minutes so I feel I'm justified in paying him £7 an hour fro the work he does in my garden and he's very happy with that.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 09:31:32 am »
I pay my window cleaner £5 for a monthly visit - double if he is doing inside aswell as outside obviously.  He travels 4 miles but does mine and the neighbour I recommended him to on his way to other contracts so no additional mileage incurred.

I couldn't afford to pay the rates some people charge for things, because I don't have any income to speak of now - there are lots of folk claiming what they're worth but they can't get it if I don't have it  ::)

A guy with a chainsaw charged me £50 for a day felling and logging, with me doing the dragging and lopping of smaller stuff.  The next guy charged me £100 for the tree or £200 for one up by a building because of extra risk.  This year my neighbour did it and took 2/3 of the wood as payment, I have less to keep warm but at least the tree is down and I have something to burn without going into debt paying someone what they want to charge me.

Most of what I "pay" for now is on a similar barter system, I can't get enough people to pay me what my training says I'm worth (psychotherapy rate is £45/hour, counselling £35/hour, massage and/or reiki £25-30 for 45 mins just as examples) but it is at least a useful currency if someone needs a massage or wants some eggs or fruit or a veg patch to work themselves or a trailer of manure or in one case I swap free service to my stallion for backing/schooling a young pony, with the grazing swapped like for like til the mare is ready to go home or quite often I take her longer than I get, just out of good will and the fact that when visiting said mare the owner is usually willing to help with a 2 handed job I just can't manage alone.

So in answer to your question, whatever I can afford or offer in lieu of payment.. and if that ain't enough then sadly it won't get done.

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 04:01:36 pm »
Ina.   Farmers are paid vast subsidies from the government every year for just owning land, they concrete their yards and put up buildings with grants, they pay no inheritance tax when they inherit their farms. They are great at pleading poverty, but don't know the meaning of the word.  They will be claiming tax relief on your wages so if they are paying you £7 an hour it's probably costing them about £4. Do not feel sorry for them and certainly don't be a charity to them at your own expense.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 04:10:29 pm »
if i do a day for a  naber or frend £50  can do plumbing electrical land manigment poultrey sheep curier building etc

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS