Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new person here  (Read 2252 times)

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
new person here
« on: July 17, 2009, 01:21:01 pm »
Hello !

I'm a small smallholder and I live on the Dorset coast. I found this forum whilst trying to find info on how to look after a cow who has lost her calf. It is a revelation to me to read all of your posts - and the feeling of shared purpose and generosity that abounds is brilliant. We have been small holding for about 5 years starting with poultry  (banties, geese ,ducks, quail, turkeys and chickens for meat )( my husband has kept poultry since he was a child ) - we then managed to purchase about 3 acres of land and started our first pigs. We got our Dexter cows in 2007 ( 2 cows each with a calf at foot.) Since then we've had three new calves and have sent one of the original calves to slaughter ). We have a big veggie plot too , and my husband makes cider and I have 2 bee hives. Things are starting to come together now, and we are eating meals that are mostly totally home produced.
We aren't in touch with other smallholders ... we are surrounded by farms and have had some really useful help from the farmers - but it is great to know that this forum exists and is populated by like-minded people. I think farmers view us with a certain amount of amusement (!)
Anyway just saying hello and thanks for the replies to my post about my dead calf - you've been really helpful

Bibs

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: new person here
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:32:17 pm »
Hi welcome, sorry about your calf.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 05:46:15 pm »
Hi and welcome for us too.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 05:56:30 pm »
Hi Bibs,

Welcome, I am sorry to hear about your Calf,But at least you found this forum.

It is full of usefull info and if you have any questions all you have to do is ask.

Kindest regards and the warmest of Welcomes.

Joe :)

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 06:05:32 pm »
Welcome Bibs...you are amongst friends...your smallholding sounds great and I/we all wish you success - sorry about the calf, many of us have had similar experiences and as an old farming friend of mine keeps reminding me...where there's live stock, there's likely to be dead stock...a quaint saying, but not a lot of comfort when you lose an animal the first time around.

Best of luck

Farmer
 :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS