Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: jungle buster ?  (Read 6039 times)

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
jungle buster ?
« on: July 17, 2009, 11:30:58 am »
I have just bought a plot of land around two acres or so that needs cutting. It was cut 5 years ago according to the last owner, looks more like more to me.

I have a Kubota compact tractor.  What attachement do I need ?  I remember sometging called a ' jungle buster '.  I do not want to rotovate, and my topper would just get.well topped !

Any ideas ?
Cheers Kevin

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: jungle buster ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:18:59 pm »
I have a thingy called a scythe mower. It is basically a two wheel tractor/ rotavator unit which you attach implements to. One such implement is a scythe mower, this will chomp through docks, nettles, thistles and brambles. A bit like a hedge trimmer bar at ground level, with 9 hp behind it. Often called a power scythe, sickle mower or finger bar mower. My neighbours laugh when they see it dragging me through rough patches, but I have slowly reclaimed lots of new grazing and tidied the place up. I am also for hire with said beast within a short distance of home.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 10:16:21 pm »
Jungle buster sounds like just what you need.

From the outside it looks pretty much like a topper, but underneath, instead of having blades it has several short lengths of chain that spins at v high speed when hooked up to the pto. Tends to pulverise whatever it goes over. We use ours for topping too.

Brilliant pieces of kit
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Paul Sill

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 10:36:35 pm »
That sounds like a flail mower, something like this? http://www.teagle.co.uk/Products/Flail%20Mowers/mini_garden.asp

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 02:11:54 pm »
A flail mower will do the job nicely

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:29:24 pm »
Let the pigs in at it ;D ;D ;D

Julie

frit

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 07:57:29 pm »
I manage a nature reserve in Wales and we use a 'Jungle Buster' at work.  We use it for bracken control and it works a treat.  We work it behind a 100hp tractor and its a good bit of kit.  It pulverises the vegetation which can result in a thick thatch which is difficult to pick up.  It may be worth having a chat with your local Wildlife Trust as they often have to deal with land that has been out of use for years and might know a local contractor who has just the right bit of kit for a job like this 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS