Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thoughts on Weaning lambs....  (Read 2921 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Thoughts on Weaning lambs....
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:55:40 am »
I have been thinking about how to go about weaning my lambs. I have been told many different things but I have a plan in my head that needs the ok from you lot!

I Plan to wean my lambs end of July/ beg of August. I have buyers from 5 of my lambs, the rest I am keeping.

My question is can I pull my lambs off there mothers and sell them there and then? I understand weaning is stressful and so is being moved but can I not combine the stress? Surely being stressed for one period of time is better than being weaned, getting stressed and then being moved and causing more stress and upset? I don't think I'll be able to keep the lambs away as I only have electric fencing and they run though the wires!

Many Ideas welcome!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Thoughts on Weaning lambs....
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:30:25 am »
How old will they be when you plan to wean them?   Usually the ewes have just about weaned their lambs themselves by 4 months, certainly by 5.   I would wait until they are just about weaned before sending them off, then you can do it in one go, especially if the lambs are all going together, which would reduce their stress.

From the ewes' point of view, it's usually suggested that they need 2 months dry to get back into condition for tupping.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:41:53 am »
4 months. I have two groups of lambs going, 2 girls and 3 boys so they will all have a friend with them.

That would give me 2 months to get them back to condition and flush them before tupping.

Thank you

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 11:42:02 am »
Mmm I hate weaning as its so noisy & stressful but its got to be done try doing 200+ ewes & 200-400 lambs we're lucky enough to have a sheep race & pens & tend to sort them around shearing so soonish this way its 2 big jobs done at once & we're transporting sheep to & from our 2 premises & different fields so its handy that ours are penned approx half a mile apart & after say 2-3 days of none stop bleating the lambs tend to get over it.

Have you got a shed the lambs can go into where the ewes can't see them or get to them? x

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 12:55:18 pm »
When we bought our Soay ewes, that was how it was done. We collected them  .... straight off their mums. They were 4/5 mnths of age. We were warned that they may lose a bit of weight/condition but they seemed fine. They didn't bleat at all once we got them back home and settled quickly.

HTH  ;D

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 01:17:34 pm »
I would have thought it'd be fine.  I would advise the buyer to top them up with a bit of concentrate feed for the first week, so as they don't lose too much condition.  It takes their minds off missing "mum" and might help them to get used to their new surroundings too.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 02:56:47 pm »
The lambs are on concentrates but I will defo make sure they are being fed once they have left! I am trying to sort my barn out as I have geese in there atm and I don't think they'll like having lambs as room mates!

In the hills that's put my mind to rest!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 05:22:04 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS