Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello and advice required  (Read 3066 times)

zwartblegirl

• Joined May 2013
Hello and advice required
« on: May 27, 2013, 09:44:18 pm »
I have just got 2 neutered Zwartble male lambs who were bottle fed. They are just for keeping down the grass and cleaning the grazing for the horses. I have the paperwork which I am about to send off with the tag numbers. They have settled fine and are coming to the bucket. When should I worm them and use a spot on? Is there a broad spectrum which will cover all? Do I need to treat for liver fluke and do they need Lambivac jabs? Should I just get my vet to come and do any vaccinations? I have a log book on order so I can keep all the info/dosing on paper etc.
I am thinking of joining the Zwartble Assoc but I know my two are not able to be registered for showing - no white blazes, feet or tip of tail, just a few hairs on the forehead. They are gorgeous though! How long do I leave the feet before I do a wee trim and when should I clip the wool round their bottoms?
My plan is to shear them next year (not myself, get someone to do it!) and then get their wool made into a jumper or whatever. Can I show unregistered/not show quality sheep in local shows, ie Keith, New Deer in an assorted class or any other breed class? Where do I get halters and what do I wear if I can? I'm in Aberdeenshire. Sorry, so many questions!!  :wave:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Hello and advice required
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:10:10 pm »
I'll just pick a couple of  Qs, I would get a poo sample mixed up from the two of them and get your vet to analyse it, they will be able to tell you if they have worms and what type and recommend the right wormer if needed. Some people routinely drench but if you have a decent area and low numbers you are less likely to need to do this. Same with fluke, drench if you are on wet land or have the poo analysed for that too and get a positive result, (tho it doesn't always show up so negative not a guarantee of being free of it.

I would recommend an annual jab against clostridium diseases, using either lambivac or eg Heptavac P+. however smallest bottle is twenty or so doses I think, so see if the vet can help put you in touch with someone who might want to share NB this sharing might be strictly not allowed but if it gets the animals treated.

I would consider shearing yourself, it is fun with a couple, ESP if you are last in line for a shearers time, better than worrying about fly strike. It's not hard and the shears are about £12 ish.

You might be able to show in local shows, it depends on the show organisers. The lady who owns the (registered Shetland) ram I borrowed for my girls wants me to show the lambs at a local show to me, even tho They aren't register able because the ewes aren't registered, she seems to think this will be possible. You will need to check the schedule once it's issued or ring the secretary.

There are hatters for sale on eBay, I would think Ascott smallholding supplies might also have them, tho not sure.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:48:01 pm »
Can you show wethers other than in fleece on the hoof classes?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Granny A

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:59:50 am »
Contact the breed society as they will be able to advise you on a lot of your questions. You will only need anti liver fluke if you are on soggy land. Contact your local big flock of sheep or medication will cost you a fortune as it comes in commercial sizes. Sheep should be shorn every year as they grow a new fleece every year.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 12:21:00 pm »
I don't know if it's the same with the Zwartbles society but I can't register my Gotland wethers as they aren't breeding stock.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 12:37:55 pm »
welcome  :wave:
i would always worm any new stock coming onto your land as you dont want them bringing anything with them.
worm tests are great for routine treatment on stock that have been wormed in the past.

ref showing - try a pet class maybe? or get another show quality sheep that you can show, if thats what you want to do. it can be quite competitive, especially at turriff, new deer etc. go and watch first and you'l understand. you will maybe need to get them cae tested before showing aswell. usually there are pet/novelty classes though.

if they are pets, then im sure handshearing will be a doddle. even a beginner can manage it in an hour.
join the societies if you want to, consider joining the local rbst group for their social /support etc, i dont know if there is a smallholder group near you.

feet need doing 2-3 times a year. have a look on utube if you dont know how to do it.or ask a farmer to show you. its very easy and only takes 5 mins.

ask your vet advice for fluke/jabs etc. when to do it etc. be brave and jab them yourself, much easier and cheaper.
keep their back end trimmed short until september as it helps reduce the risk of fly strike.

have fun !  :excited:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:39:36 pm by shygirl »

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS