Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I hate my job! You?  (Read 10398 times)

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
I hate my job! You?
« on: July 16, 2009, 11:15:27 am »
Rant alert...For those of us who have to work; boo hiss  >:(

So...'they' are moving to office round at the mo. The Chairman (who inherited the post and doesn't care about the company) wants to rent the little office downstairs out so everyone in that has to cram in upstairs; hence the shuffling.  I have lost 50% of my desk space and my view out the windows over the river and water meadows but don't really care, I'm tucked in a corner looking over the office and by the fire door so we can have that open for fresh air.

The woman that was sat here always slammed the door because of the 'gale', she reckons she now has it from all sides from the door and the windows.  I was having none of it when she wanted to close it today. Wear a scarf and cardi like I do! Don't make the rest of us suffer the stuffiness and air con! Grrrr.

She had already moaned to the over worked IT guy that she had lost her personal printed and had to use the one two paces behind her!

My boss doesn't do anything and everyone moans at him and i am caught inthe middle.  It's all politics and back biting.  I either have nothing to do for 9 hours a day or am so so busy.  Now I like to be busy but I have never worked anywhere so unorganised.

So I know all these things are so petty and utterly meaningless and far worse things happen in life and usually they wash over me and I get on with it.  After all I am only temp cover for maternity leave but you some days it all just gets up your nose? Well today...I could just hit someone with a wet kipper (wrapped round a brick)!!!

Anyway, I would rather be at home in the garden with my veggie and dogs.

Anyone else have a rant they wish to share???

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: I hate my job! You?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:35:12 am »
I am my boss, we have our own business, but I hate going to work in an ofiice with no windows doing boring paperwork! and agreed would much rather be at home playing with pigs and sheep! :pig: :sheep: :dog: :chook: :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:45:44 am »
I absolutely love my job!

I am self employed and as it is a hotel we run, I work from home. I work 7 days a week and take 3 weeks off in January but do not complain. We are now half way through the year so we are at the stage we are totally knackered but that's our life. If I didn't have this lifestyle I couldn't have all my animals and that's what makes this special. We have a beautiful setting and life is normally quite good so no real complaints.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:49:23 am »
I have to say that I love my Job!.  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)
I am my own boss, I work 15 hours a day (Minimum) 7 days a week.
Get covered in S**t most days, But get to work with my Pigs, Hens, Goats and sheep amongst others all day except when I have to go to market but even then I get to meet a lot of interesting people who enjoy Better Quality Food.
I am not saying it is not Hard work but when you enjoy it is it Really Hard!.
Kindest regards
Joe  :)

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:59:20 am »
I see a pattern emerging...Own boss=love my job!

Reading back my post it seems like such a whinge  :-[, I promise I don't whinge all the time.

I can't wait till the time we can leave work and be beholden to no one! I know when we are doing OUR thing we will be working so so so hard and we will LOVE it!!! I also know that if you always wait for the right time you will never do it but we are not quite there just yet.

I think part of my disatisfaction comes from temping for 2.5years and not finding a 'proper job' (whatever one of them is) so I can make it my own.

Anyhow, you guys that are doing your thing, living your dream are such an inspiration!!!  ;D 

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 12:05:35 pm »
I am so jealous of you both.  I work 8 to 5 in an office for Americans who want everything yesterday and expect you to work 7 to 7, 7 days a week in two areas Dublin and Waterford - stay in a hotel once a week, which may sound great, but after a while I wish i didn't have to!  If you annoy them they sack you - why do I do it? because they pay extremely well and I am saving to get set up for a different life - end of story.
I keep them happy so they don't interfer with me and my staff.  I have to say, them being American and having bags of money they provide the latest most up to date technology in health, which can only be good for the patients.  
No I don't like my job, but hey, in this ressession I suppose I'm lucky to have one.

PS I spend so much time reading this site instead of sort 'finance' etc I may get the sack anyway ??? ???

sandy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 12:13:10 pm »
This is the reason we moved up here so I could enjoy life, I am now my own boss and love it, for example done bu***r all this a.m. except talk to a guest and have a long coffe break!!! (don't let OH know)  Oh and feed the animals, then off to do the rooms which have been left very clean by the wounderful guests we have at the moment. My Jobs have mostly been good, I have met some great people but still had to deal with office politics and I have been envolved it the office shuffle where someone gets the cr** desk, usualy me!!!!! I have had to grin and bear it a lot but also had loads of fun at work....I still do a bit and love the change of environment but running this B&B is fun, not too hard either, only down side is it's hard to go places when you want to!!!!!!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 01:14:52 pm »
my job is dull but i'll not make the mistake of leaving it again - unless i have to!!

i get to work from home, my boss is in the US and my "customers" are all around europe - so i really just deal with folk by email/phone

this makes it easy to spend a day out in the garden when the weather permits (i have been building a deck this morning, but rain stopped play!)

i don't mind sitting with the laptop open at night when i'm watching telly as it means i can catch up with my paid employment

i worked here a few years ago and left because i was bored and started my own company up - i now realise that i didn't have to quit and i could ahve had my wage security and my freedom

i'm hopefully just about to start a new business and i won't be quitting this job until they tell me to change my ways.

the future mrs SB might be getting made redundant though, so i think i'll need to find something for her to do with her time!!

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 01:31:00 pm »
That's the problem isn't it.  I hate my job on so many levels and for so many reasons but it is income for the next three months and there is no guarantee I would get another as temping is so cut throat at the mo.

The company I was with last year made 25% of us redundant, I left on Christmas Eve.  I was out of work for 2 months desperatly trying to get something.  I am either over qualified or under experienced.  Or i go for interviews and the company clam up and the postition is no longer required, if I even get that far.  As it is where i am now has already made redundancies while I have been here and i think the only reason they didn't get rid of my position is they have to keep it open for the lady on maternity, who just happens to be the wife of the IT guy.

I really do know I mustn't moan when so many are losing theirs, but it is hard not to sometimes.  ::)

sandy

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 01:35:32 pm »
Ironicly, I get a lot of job offers, ALL very poor money for what you have to do and as I make more here most of the time I stay at home, sometimes wish I had a family member to help out sometimes!!!!! although my partner does help but has to work to pay our way, not even to buy luxuries, you never know, my wish may come true and I may get a member of my family up here!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 02:01:05 pm »
Ironicly, I get a lot of job offers, ALL very poor money for what you have to do

Wish I did!  Could do with a wee supplement to my pension, but not B & B - thought about it but came to the conclusion I like my own home to myself.  Love having visitors to stay though because they are friends.

So I guess you could say I love my job - retired!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 03:59:05 pm »
I've got a tea shirt that says on it " I'm retired. Having fun is my job" You just know it's American don't you?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 04:00:23 pm »
I WANT one!!!  Where can I get it?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 04:00:35 pm »
I loved my job, went to work clean came home clean.  I love my present job, start clean, get dirty stay dirty.  Eg.  went out to feed the pigs and Lily (the littlest) came and sat on my lap.  Not a problem except that she had rolled in something not very nice, first.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 05:19:10 pm »
I really really dislike my job. I have to get up in the morning and walk round the feilds with my collie and scratch the sheeps backs, laugh at the ducks and chucks as they waddle out from their house, smile as the quails all come running to the front of the cage in anticipation of the weeds i had to pick as i walked through the strawberry patch. then carry the heavy basket load of eggs into the butlers pantry rady to go into the egg boxes.

sometimes i'll be done  with the animal checking by 10 am coffee time, where I'll get my jobs for the day weeding, sheep work, forestry work tractor work or one of the million jobs that keep me from being bored tehn a quick walk in the sunshine to make sure everything is still ok before going home around 6pm

life is hard.... really hard....  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS