Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Castlemilk moorits  (Read 4462 times)

Tregwyr

• Joined Jan 2013
Castlemilk moorits
« on: May 27, 2013, 01:51:34 pm »
My OH and I are thinking about starting with sheep. We have a CPH number as we have pigs, chickens and geese. We live in Swansea, with about 18 acres.

We have spent some time looking at different breeds and would like to concentrate on rare breeds that are fairly easy to manage, but must have the tingle factor! This led us to looking at Hebrideans, Coloured ryelands and Castlemilk moorits. Shallow I know, but good looking sheep are a must! We are leaning towards Castlemilk moorits and I am hoping to go and visit a flock in Herefordshire soon.

I would like to start with a small starter flock - some people have advised I should start with a few ewes in lamb... I'm not sure of the best way to go TBH. I'm also keen to understand a bit more about the genetics side of things - am I supposed to get ewes from different flocks, how do I ensure an unrelated ram...etc, etc.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
Re: Castlemilk moorits
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 02:03:37 pm »
If you are coming to Herefordshire and would like to see some Shetlands i have 9 ewes of various colours, they are not for sale but would give you an idea of the breed. We are nr Leominster , I could give you the name of the breeder i purchased them from as i think he has some shearlings for sale and also has other breeds such as castlemilk moorit, badger face and black welsh mountains, and will have lambs at weaning. hope this helps x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:15:46 pm »
I love my Castlemilk Moorits.  A fit adult CM in peak condition is a heart-stopping sight, in my book.  And don't let anyone tell you they're flighty - some are, but with the right handling... see below.   :D

If you are wanting a starter flock, there's a nice flock being sold by a TASer in Wales - Perdita.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tregwyr

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:07:26 pm »
Oh wow, Sally, those pics show exactly what you say- heart-stopping! I have PM'd Perdita - I was hoping Doug would be along - hadn't realised he left.

Sunnybank - thanks - we'd love to visit if we come up - hopefully this weekend...I'll PM you.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 10:49:58 pm »
Hi Tregwyr- probably too far for you- but if you were ever near South Yorkshire feel free to pop in here. I have 20 (and growing) at the moment and they are the most beautiful and easily(ish) managed sheep. I might have the odd animal for sale at the end of the season. Cheers.

Tregwyr

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 10:57:20 pm »
Thanks Fieldfare. I am ashamed to say I have only ever once ventured to York, beautiful, romantic though it was, it is a long way to come....any advice on what to look for? I am reading as much as I can,  latest being about "closed" flock...any idea?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:40:03 pm »
Hi :wave: .  We all love our own breeds of sheep and I think it is really important to choose what YOU like  :) .  I would go to as many shows as possible this season and walk the sheep lines.  Most folk are very helpful and will tell you about their breed (which is always the best, of course ;) ).  Start small, the numbers can build up quite quickly if you don't have the heart to send them on...my dilemma now...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 10:45:04 am »
I love my Castlemilk's and the more you handle them the more settled they become to the point of tripping me up in the winter for feed - we have a couple that dance around and are a bit canny when you want to pen them on the other hand some eat out of my hand. The lambs are so beautiful and dainty, lovely to watch - good luck with your flock  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 08:16:17 pm »
I've got tizaala's three staying here atm.

Apart from the ram getting a bit too interested in the goatlings in season, they've been great.
Easier to pen in the snow when they were hungry, the ram is a greedy so and so but the ewes are a little more wary.  I haven't had the time to spend getting them used to me but I've only once had to get my neighbour to help with them, I've mostly managed singlehanded. They are beautiful sheep but I've always wanted shetlands.

If you'd like a day out to come and see them and the rest of the critters you're very welcome.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 08:45:31 pm »
If you start with in lamb ewes, you need to have a bit of practical lambing experience before yours lamb really. So you know exactly what to expect, what happens, and what to do if there is problems. Good luck, sheep are addictive  :thumbsup:

Tregwyr

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 11:36:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I think we're going for ewe lambs, so we get used to them and them to us, rather than older ewes. Went to see some 'up close' today; I fell in love but unfortunately for the children they were very 'flighty'. Carried on to see Sunnybank's shetlands and the kids fell in love, and I must be honest, having them eat out of their hands was amazing. The ability to have electric fencing without the worry of horns is tempting and seeing them roo naturally also must have an impact on costs. Ahhh, rethink.....going to the Three Counties show in a couple of weeks so hopefully see them again and some more. Can I have both???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 12:03:55 am »
People do keep horned and polled sheep together - but you have to be aware that the horned sheep, if aggressive over food for instance, can be overdominant and bully the polled ones to the point of becoming undernourished.  I have a pushy pointy-horned Manx, so when I put cake or hay out I have to make sure it is spread out so well that everyone can still get at some even with Pricket constantly chasing them all away from what she deems the best bit. ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 10:19:42 am »
I have both and the ewes stay together - like Sally say plenty of trough space needed - on the positive side I do think the layed back attitude of the shetands rubs off a bit on the Castlemilks. It would be easier to have one breed but I really like both breeds for different reasons...... :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Tregwyr

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 10:29:16 am »
That's great - I'm not crazy then!

I'm getting excited for the Three Counties show.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 01:25:34 pm »
I also love my Castlemilk moorits despite the fact that they are somewhat flighty! The older girls are still somewhat nervous round us but are generally fine if it is just me in the field. We got ours from Doug and Gabi and they are beautiful.  As Doug warned us, they definitely can spot if you're up to something and are off!

Fieldfare, I will be looking for a ram / ram lamb at the end of the summer if you are likely to have any available for sale.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS