Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bruised Udder or Something Else?  (Read 1321 times)

Maudlin-Matilda

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Republic of Ireland
Bruised Udder or Something Else?
« on: May 25, 2013, 04:35:08 pm »
Our first time mum is feeding two healthy and thriving kids but over the last few days, we have noticed that her one teat looks like it is bruised.

From the start the kids, particularly the buck (who is a big lad) have been quite rough feeders and we have just successfully treated a sore at the top of one teat.  This is the other teat though and today, the 'bruise' seems a bit larger.

I've done a bit of online research but as always, I've got a bit overwhelmed with information and have found everything from 'it's just rough feeding, don't worry about it to Panic!  It's gangrene mastitis

The overall picture here is that the udder/teats are not swollen or uneven, nor are they too hot or cold.  The kids are feeding fine and there is milk coming when we take some off, which isn't lumpy, stringy or streaked with blood.  She is fine in herself, eating and drinking well, with no apparent temperature (although my thermometer broke last week so I have not been able to confirm this).

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated but I think I will be ringing the vet anyway.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS