Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A goat will keep you alive!  (Read 1834 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
A goat will keep you alive!
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:29:57 am »
Just read this article http://farmwars.info/?p=10602

Does anyone have any views on using Diatomaceous earth in feed?  I've always thought about using it (bit like many things...) and never got round to it, but goats do have massive worm problems if you let them, so it may be worth a go

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: A goat will keep you alive!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:19:52 pm »
That was very interesting although I would disagree with using hay nets. They can get hooves caught in them. I never worm my goats as they aren't on pasture so have no opinion, in answer to your question.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:43:44 am »
I can't help feeling that if it's sharp enough to cut worms and kill them, it's sharp enough to mash up the sensitive villi cells in the gut.

I do use diatomaceous earth under perches in the chicken houses against red mites.

I agree with Lesley about haynets too - too much potential for disaster, racks a a better bet.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:43:08 am »
I agree with Jaykay about the DE - it can damage your lungs if you inhale it so surely it must damage the gut. If you need a natural approach to worming Pat Coleby's suggestions of Sulphur and Copper make more sense but I don't think that most of us can do without conventional wormers as we don't have the extensive land a goat really needs to keep themselves worm free.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Maudlin-Matilda

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Republic of Ireland
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 06:38:30 pm »
When I purchased my last batch of DE, I was asked if I wanted 'food-grade' or 'pest-grade', so maybe it's a question of quality or purity?

I suffer from osteoporosis and read a lot about people taking DE as a calcium supplement in some of the newsletters I get, so it's certainly safe for human consumption but I think my main concern would be that it might effect the whole rumination process.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS