Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: homeless turkey  (Read 2731 times)

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
homeless turkey
« on: May 24, 2013, 08:54:08 pm »
OH has just rang me from work and informed me that someone is bringing teacup the turkey to live with us tomorrow. Apparently she was bought a couple of years ago to fatten up for Xmas but they couldn't bring themselves to do the deed- so she has been happily pottering around with the hens ever since. The owner has failing health so has rehomed everything, except teacup who nobody wanted. She is becoming very sad and lonely with No chicken friends so is moving in here in the morning.

So, what do I need to know about turkeys then?  ::)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: homeless turkey
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:30:51 pm »
Gas mark 5 for 6 hours :roflanim:

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:32:01 pm »
Most of them can fly and don't mind ranging pretty far in search of greener pastures/mates/nesting places, they certainly are prone to loneliness, they're often weakly in terms of health, hens will lay (and brood) infertile eggs when they've never seen a tom, they can be terrible, vicious, relentless bullies, some have an inbred disorder that causes their neck to spasm when they hear water drops, (which is how they came to be known as being 'so stupid they look up into the rain and drown'), they can be dangerous if unfriendly, everything wants to eat them, they're prone to dying of illnesses the average chicken laughs at... They're not the most forgiving animals and generally will only brook a certain amount of prolonged interference with their wishes before they may decide you're not worth respecting/living with. They're primarily green feeders, more herbivorous than chickens, and susceptible to dying if their feet are wet too long or frequently. Most if not all of which you probably already knew, just trying to be helpful.  ;D 

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 09:36:48 pm »
Hmm. Brilliant.

Apparently she's small for a turkey and 'everyone loves her' (which doesn't quite explain her current situation. We will give her a chance but if she is nasty or bullying the hens she will have to go. Sounds like she may make that decision for herself anyway!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 07:54:21 am »
We have had Charlie our stag for years, he is very friendly to us and fine with the poultry although he does try and bonk everything including the dogs at this time of year.
We can walk up to him and pick him up he is that friendly , he was also a xmas dinner that didnt happen and needed a new home  ::)
Graham

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 07:56:11 am »
That sounds more like the impression I have been given of this one. We'll be finding out around lunchtime!

Pipsa

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 08:34:48 am »
Well. I have two pet turkeys living with chickens and no problems with them. They follow me around, I give
them treats, they eat from my hand - I find them really interesting individuals. I can lift the female turkey not
the stag him being quite heavy. They love to gobble while I speak on the phone. Treat Mrs Teacup well.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 08:45:21 am »
we find the turkeys are more friendly than the hens when put together. we haven't had any blackhead  :fc: :fc: :fc: , but do try and keep them separate.
watch the trees- they love to roost in them
M

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 12:31:14 pm »
Sorry to give you the negatives, I was thinking yesterday I should have added that they can be great pets. Once you've got hold of a tough line they can be about as much trouble as chooks. I've had to breed up a tough line, I only got weakly ones to begin with. Plus I've done less with turkeys than chickens and only gotten breeding stock from rather careless breeders, as I discovered later.

Most of my turkeys aren't as bad as what I mentioned, once I rather aggressively culled a few lines from the flock because they were attacking certain other birds and people and inspiring the more peaceful turkeys to do the same. Now the most troublesome turkey I've got is the grand-daughter of one of the originals, who's killed another turkey hen and attacked me. She'll be for the spit when she's fat enough, and that'll end that particular strain. Ended up culling one entire family tree.   ::)

Doubt you'll have half the troubles I've had, especially since Teacup's already a pet. Best wishes with that.

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 02:05:56 pm »
Thank you.  :fc:
 Her owner has had to go into work yesterday and today so she will now be arriving through the week.

I will let you know what happens when she arrives.....and you never know I may work out how to post pics eventually!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS