Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dissecting an electric hen  (Read 2170 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Dissecting an electric hen
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:24:20 pm »

When we first started brooding chicks, we invested in a couple of "electric hen" heat pads, since they are far cheaper to run than a traditional heat lamp.

Overall, I would still recommend them, but I've found a few problems with the design:

1) The threaded legs are awfully fiddly to adjust, and leave poles sticking up above the brooder. We had one Hubbard die when it jumped off a perch above the brooder and hit its chest on the top of the leg. After that, I replaced the legs with rope and hung the brooder from the roof of the coop, which makes it far easier to adjust.
2) I left the brooder in the shed last year after the geese had finished using it. The flex was hanging down and our young geese chewed right through it!  :o
3) When I came to switch on our second brooder tonight, I noticed that where the flex enters the body, it had worn through the insulation somehow and shorted out (confirmed by charring and a blown fuse).

So, I know what's inside a normal hen  ;) , I wonder what's inside an electric one!!  ;D

Not a great deal as it turns out!!

The metal base plate is held on with glue and rubber sealant, then there is a wire heating element held in place with adhesive backed foil and glued onto a sheet of fibreboard. Underneath the fibreboard is a layer of foam insulation.

It didn't take long to work out that the incoming 240V supply just connects straight onto the heating element. So, I dug out a bit of the foam insulation to make space and drilled a new entry hole for the flex through the top of the unit. I then tied a knot in this to act as a cable grip and re-connected it to the heating element using some 5A choc block.

I then re-arranged the electrics to fit neatly in the recess I'd made in the foam, and filled everything with "sticks like sh*t" to keep it all in place (I seem to use a lot of that stuff these days!  ;D ). I also used it to glue the metal base plate back on and seal everything up again.

So there we go - good as new! 

I hope this may be helpful to somebody else one day - these things are good, but they're far too expensive to just throw away when they fail!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Re: Dissecting an electric hen
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:27:23 pm »
Hi,thats brilliant.One of mine has gone the same way after 3 years of constant service.A combination of geese and me picking it up by the wire have taken there tole.
I think this is an excellent post and will be a big help to me and I'm sure others.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS