Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fruit press  (Read 4600 times)

Tullywood Farm

Fruit press
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:04:12 pm »
Hi to all,

I am thinking of getting a fruit press for pressing apples and was wondering if anybody has got a good one that they would recommend?.
I am not sure if I should buy one that you wind down or if I should get a Hydraulic one as I am planning on pressing lots of apples for the juice so that I can freeze it in Bottles for the winter.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Kindest regards
Joe  :)

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Fruit press
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:42:32 pm »
get the biggest one you can afford: We made the mistake of saying we'll buy a small one to see how it goes....we got sick of changing the press contents all the time
Ian

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:39:55 pm »
manual is best, the less electronics can go wrong the better. The local Food Group is just about to buy one, I'll see if I can get the info for you. (they just sent me the file as a docx which I can' open, if they can send it again in readable form I'll forward it, Joe) :&>
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:48:16 pm by northfifeduckling »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 07:35:16 pm »
Can you send it to me too as the CSSA is thinking of buying one.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 08:10:15 pm »
This is the info I received - please both feel free to email James from Monimail Tower Project. If you need more info, I'm sure he will be glad to advise! Rosemary, you can also get an update when you meet us in August, it might be a bit late for buying one though.

james@tree-wise-men.com

>>>After careful consideration members (of the NHTT food group) decided upon the purchase of the following:

1 x Wine Works 20 litre Medium sized press - £279.94 - this was agreed upon as it was of a big enough size to allow people to do a decent amount of pressing and is also portable enough to be put in a car.
1 x Wine Works Mini press - £34.20 - it was agreed to purchase this as it would allow for very small scale pressing for those who had perhaps only 1 or 2 small apple trees.
1 x Wine Press 4 U Large Crusher - £259.70 – this is to allow for larger amounts of crushing.
1 x Wine Press 4 U Medium crusher - £194.04 – this is for smaller scale crushing

It was also agreed to purchase 2 large trugs to collect apples in that were easily washable, 2 large buckets to wash apples in and 2 long handled brushes for apple washing.

There was discussion around the possibility of building a large press out of recycled materials in addition to the bought presses. This was because there is a need at MTP for a large press due to the huge quantity of apples in the Orchard and also because it would be good for people to learn how to build one out of recycled materials. It was felt that a good option would be for NHTT to pay for a workshop whereby MTP (Monimail Tower Project) show people how to build one, the large apple press would belong to MTP and they could if they wishes lease it out as required.<<<

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:12:32 pm by northfifeduckling »

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 01:41:43 am »
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1976-09-01/How-To-Build-A-Cider-Press.aspx
you could try making one like in the link Joe. All depends how much time you have and if you can get all the bits and bobs ....worth a look anyway...

cheers

Russ

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 07:54:02 pm »
Thanks Russ - That would be the way forward when I have time to do it ;D

Still nursing a bad back at the mo :'(

Thanks again

Joe  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS