Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Some advice please..  (Read 1822 times)

ThePigPaddock

• Joined Feb 2013
Some advice please..
« on: May 18, 2013, 07:30:00 pm »
Before we call the vet out...any advice on what may be causing the swelling (see photo); we weaned our OSB sow last weekend and as her milk dried she was left with this swelling. 

It is not particularly sore (as she will left me squeeze it without reaction); it appears to be fluid (no solid lumps) and she is not bothered by it (all other signs are normal)...what do others think before I call the vet?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Some advice please..
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 08:48:53 pm »
Hi TPP,
It looks like me to be oedema.  She may have been like it throughout rearing her piglets (it's not an easy one to spot) & only noticable now as her other teats are drying-off.
I'd definately consult your vet, if it is oedema she'll need antibiotics as it causes mastitis.
Hope she's gonna be ok  :fc:
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 07:04:32 am »
It could be an abscess, though oedema or a touch of early mastitis is more likely. She needs an urgent shot of long-acting antibiotic and veterinary advice if it doesn't improve rapidly. Hope she's OK  :fc:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:12:54 am »
Get her some antibiotics as aoon as you can regardless. looks like mastitis to me which in the recent damp warm conditions can be a problem.
HTh
mandy :pig:

ThePigPaddock

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:03:14 pm »
Thanks all for the advice and good wishes - much appreciated.

Got the vet out today and the 'good' news is that it is a v large blood blister and the vet has put a needle in it to drain it. Also given her anti-biotics. We think she may have been fighting with the other sow when we put them back in together and been knocked. Glad it was not mastitis.   :fc:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 10:04:34 am »
Glad to hear the good news TPP  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS