Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lice!  (Read 3254 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Lice!
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:10:35 pm »
I wondered what everyone uses for lice treatment on their hens?   I clean out the hen shed every week and use red mite powder, but some of my hens have been a bit listless lately and egg quality has dropped.  I caught all 8 hens yesterday and noticed a couple of them have lice, so obviously want to get rid of the little devils (the lice not the hens obviously)!   They all have access to a dust bath - they use the flower border in the garden  ::).  What treatments do you use as I have researched on Google and there seems to be a lot of varied opinions on what to use, what actually works and how much to apply.  Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Lice!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:47:31 pm »
Dicotamous earth - I put it in all their known dust baths and sprinkle liberally on all surfaces and in nest boxes after each clean out.  I also give any chickens that I can catch (getting harder and harder with current cockrel as he is VERY protective) a good dusting when I can if I detect a prob... but on preventative now.  Good luck, Fi

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:32:42 pm »
Yes, DE works and is not too nasty (just don't breathe it in).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »
That's great - thanks.  I haven't heard of that brand so will have a search on Google and order some.  Hate to think of my girls suffering with lice on them  :-\

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:41:41 pm »
Hi Zak,  Diatomacous Earth is a substance rather than a brand name. It's made from crushed up coral or similar I believe.  Plenty on Ebay etc. HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:59:47 pm »
Diatoms are tiny single-celled algae with a really high proportion of silica, and diatomaceous earth is the naturally occurring fossilized remains of them. It kills lice by basically slicing them till they bleed to death. It kills worms in the chook's guts the same way. I've not really used it because garlic works so well for all internal and external parasites, but it's another healthy alternative, though obviously you don't want to breathe too much in, as with most substances. It occurs naturally. It's used for many species and other purposes. So is garlic, which in my opinion can be added to, not taken away from, as basically nothing takes garlic's place in combating viruses, bad bacteria, all parasites, and basically anything unhealthy. Prevention's far better than cure, and garlic's one of the easiest cover-all's.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 03:23:44 pm »
Diatoms are tiny single-celled algae with a really high proportion of silica, and diatomaceous earth is the naturally occurring fossilized remains of them. It kills lice by basically slicing them till they bleed to death. It kills worms in the chook's guts the same way. I've not really used it because garlic works so well for all internal and external parasites, but it's another healthy alternative, though obviously you don't want to breathe too much in, as with most substances. It occurs naturally. It's used for many species and other purposes. So is garlic, which in my opinion can be added to, not taken away from, as basically nothing takes garlic's place in combating viruses, bad bacteria, all parasites, and basically anything unhealthy. Prevention's far better than cure, and garlic's one of the easiest cover-all's.
I also mix cod liver oil with garlic into my grain mix ;D   How do you use garlic and in what form?

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 03:38:47 pm »
@FiB:

For babies from hatching through to their second week I give finely minced raw garlic, as in my experience nothing makes up for that first lot of raw garlic if they don't get it. Even if they never have garlic again you can see the difference in adult birds, which had garlic and which didn't for that first week.

I used to give all my birds of all ages a staple dose of raw garlic every day, I would just mince it and throw it in their food, about a clove per bird, but since I've been agisting and busier I've been giving granulated raw garlic. Not quite as good but better than nothing! And less time consuming, though their health shows it's not as goo as fresh and raw.

You can buy it in Australia in kilo-bags or larger at the average feedbarn as more and more people are becoming sticklers for feeding it to their cattle, horses, and other animals as they try it and see the difference. More and more scientific studies are coming to light proving its efficacy, which is a complete about-face from the older pseudo-scientific defamation of the old lore concerning herbs and natural medicines our farming forbears used pre-pharmaceuticals. 'Old wives' tales' are coming back with a vengeance.  ;)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:21:22 pm »
I have ordered some DE from Amazon so  :fc:it works on my girls.  Thanks again for the suggestion.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS