Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone cooked a pork joint on the BBQ? - update  (Read 4649 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Anyone cooked a pork joint on the BBQ? - update
« on: May 23, 2013, 11:10:51 am »
I am thinking of having a go at it this weekend (although don't think the weather is up to much) just wondered if anyone has tried it and what the results were
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:19:26 pm by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Anyone cooked a pork joint on the BBQ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:27:50 am »
Have done it by using the rotisserie gadget. Have seen it done beautifully that way but ours turned out very greasy. I'm not sure a pork joint would cook through well enough if placed on top, and I wouldn't try it if it had a bone in the joint.

Another way is to wrap the joint in foil and place it deep in the embers. A clay flowerpot is often used with this method too. Prevents the meat burning on the outside. That's how I'd do it.

Let us know how it turns out.
 :sunshine:   :fc:
PS: Get another clay flowerpot and pop some bread dough in there and you'll get a nice fresh loaf to go with it!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:39:45 am »
haven't done it with pork have done other joint/roasts...

butterfly out a shoulder joint get the coals nice and low and slam the joint well rubbed with salt and herbs on the grill, turn every so often till cooked through.

the advantage of butterflying the joint is its thinner with a greater area so cooks to the middle easier,

works well with lamb shoulder and spatchcocked chickens as well!!!

part of the reason for using shoulders is they are fattier so they self baste as they cook!!!

you could also do it with a really thick piece of belly pork...

mmm hungry now!!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 09:47:30 pm »
Done pork, Beef, lamb and whole chickens on the rotisserie on our gas BBQ although ours does have a back burner aswell as the normal burners
Ours turned out lovely with nice crispy Crackling  :thumbsup:
Graham

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:48:53 am »
Hmmm, mine doesn't have a rotisserie but the book does give an indication of the time needed for a joint of meat. 
Keep your fingers crossed for the weather tomorrow and I will give it a go.  Think it will be a good idea to find my meat thermometer though to be on the safe side  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: Anyone cooked a pork joint on the BBQ? - update
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 12:22:39 pm »
Cooked the joint as suggested in the bbq cook book but it was absolutely cremated  :(
I only have a small bbq, a baby belling. I was suposed to put the joint in on the lowest heat for 45 mins without opening it and then turn it over and put it back for another 45 mins. When I opened it at the end there were flames and the joint was completely black and burnt like a cinder.

Actually, once the black had been cut off the meat was good but not sure I will try this again on the bbq that I have.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Anyone cooked a pork joint on the BBQ? - update
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 12:36:41 pm »
don't like covering anything on the barbeque so i can't see it, as fat drips it causes flames to flare, my solution to these is a clean sprayer bottle with water in that i use as a mini extinguisher  :excited: :excited: :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS